Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Emma’s heart froze at the menacing undertone to this man’s voice. Her heart fluttered maddeningly and all of a sudden she was quite sure staying in this filthy room would be better than what awaited her out there. He advanced towards her, his face still covered in shadow. His rough big hand came around her arm and no sooner he was dragging her out of the dirty room unceremoniously. She stumbled over the threshold and whimpered in pain as his hold only tightened showing no mercy.

“Aint no one be taken in by dem der false snake tears o’ yours aye miss? So snap that jaw o’ yours shut.”

His harsh gruff reply silenced her sobs and something snapped inside her. Emma felt the first wings of courage stretch out lazily inside her and it was a most wonderful feeling, it gave her hope. She would not be weakened in front of these disgusting worthless men. She stood up straighter holding her head high and wrenched her arm out of his grip. The odious man turned slowly, threateningly and gave her a frightening glare.

“Just wha’ do yer think yer doing eh?”

Emma pushed her nose into the air and straightened her shoulders, rolling them slightly to remove the stiffness, taking her sweet time to reply. His frustration grew.

“Oh, just teaching you how a gentleman should behave. I dare say, you have no clue I suppose?” She could not help it. This bravery came from somewhere unknown and her words shocked her as much as the sneer curling her lips that followed. His eyes narrowed and he turned his head for a moment to spit on the floor before turning his head back to her.

“An you be thinkin’ that you is some kind o’ lady? You came from the same flea-ridden cradle we all did. Don’t be showin’ me ‘ow ‘igh and mighty you are now that yer ‘ave that no good doing Prince’s protection.”

Her brow furrowed and she frowned. Whatever was he talking about? She had no clue and she set about to right this misunderstanding of this old boar.

“Now see here, me and you will never be the same, you filthy disgusting man! As for what Prince you are talking about, I am not completely sure. You are surely mistaken.” Her lip curled in disgust with her words and she took a step back as he took a step forward ominously. His eyes darkened and a thunderous scowl transformed his face bitterly.

“Seems to me that knock to yer head ‘as jumbled up them thoughts of yours, allow me to be o’ some assistance, my lady- “ He sneered the words spitefully “- You see that man yer got lookin’ after yer well I’ve got some news for you, you two-bit whore, he aint no nice gentleman ‘elping any old poor girl. Aye, no he aint. He’s the mighty prince of this country right here. Prince John ofEngland. How stupid can you get you stupid li’l girl. Yer be stayin’ at Duncombe park and you aint know that, that is where our mighty prince comes to stay come huntin’ season?”

He spat on the floor viciously after his long-winded speech and grabbed her arm again, more roughly than before and began to drag her forward once more. Down the dingy hallway they went, Emma found no resistance within her as she stumbled along in shock.

The vicious words of a spiteful bitter man sparked a torrent of memories to flood her and her vision darkened more than once as her head seemed inclined to explode from the pain. She saw her childhood pass her by, her siblings, her father’s death, her mother, John. As the memories ceased to flash by in her head, her footsteps haltered. Her eyes blurred with sickened tears as she mourned for the family she had lost, mourned for the loss of her saviour, John. She was nobody’s fool, Emma knew very well what would happen to her, there was no hope for her and she sent a silent prayer up to God. Divine intervention would be very welcome at this point in her young life.

****

John stared at Stanley, narrowing his eyes. There was something unsettling about the cowering man that stood before him. A spark of something different altogether in his eyes, but as it was, John did not have the required time to speculate. Emma had been his responsibility and he would find her at any cost.

He dismissed Stanley and summoned his best men to scour the surrounding villages and the one town. He employed his second to undertake the task of finding the one Stanley called Josias. He felt a deep regret of having paid little attention to Emma as they had surged through the crowds in the market. His heart involuntarily constricted as he envisioned her lovely face staring back at him trustingly. A trust he had broken. His hand tightened on the sword in his hand and he whipped it round in anger once before slipping it into the sheath on his back. The straps crossed over his chest. He wore a leather vest and breeches ad dark as his vest and a crisp white shirt beneath. Dressed for battle.

They rode out after the Prince as he kicked at his horse urging it to move faster. He rode towards the market once again to search for clues of Emma’s whereabouts. Four men followed him as they rode up and over the hill. They raced towards the marketplace where there were considerably less people milling around. The Royal Crest stood starkly against the dark black of his vest. People made way in shock as the Prince and his guards rode in and through the market whereby they slowed to confer with each other the next step.

John summoned them all closer together and barked out sharp instructions. They were to search the market leaving no stone unturned. Anything remotely suspicious was to be deemed as a clue to Emma’s disappearance. Despair pulled at John’s heart, but he pushed it down letting hope grip him instead. He would find her, he had to.

He pushed his horse on tracing the path he had led Emma down at the time she disappeared. His horse slowed and whinnied refusing to go forward, “What’s wrong Cisco? Calm down boy.” Stroking its neck he crooned into Cisco’s ear lovingly. As he was bent down speaking into cisco’s ear his eyes caught on a piece of clothing fluttering lazily, hooked onto a stall. His eyes narrowed and he jumped off the horse swiftly and gracefully. John stroked the cloth slowly and fearfully as he recognised it from the gown Emma had been wearing. A green matching her eyes. His head seemed to spin and his breath caught in his throat. 

***

Im sure you all have been waiting a while and im sorry for the delay. I had a lot of personal issues going on and i apologise for not being able to put a chapter up sooner. I hope to put them up regularly now, gracias to those who remained patient with me! Yall are super! Stick with me and hopefully together we'll make it to the end of RIL. Kay Kay ciao. :)

ps. I aso apologise if this chapter isnt up to scratch,...bear with me as theres much more to come ;)