Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

John ripped the cloth away from the market stall and sprang into action, calling for his men to retreat back to Duncombe and for Stanley to be called in to confer with the Prince. He rode back to the house sparing no time, urging cisco to go faster. He could feel that he was close to her.

"Smith. Bring the dogs, have them sniff the cloth and set them after the scent. Have this done now." Smith nodded archly and left to complete the prince's orders. John sat back in his chair and sighed. The thought of Emma alone and helpless sparked anger and fury in his heart. He scowled and just in that moment Stanley stumbled in through the door. The door swung shut as he straightened his grubby clothes. John studied him with narrowed eyes.

"Stanley, you run a business do you not? Your attire suggests you are a common street urchin. Care to explain this?"

He stuttered and looked truly frightened, a bead of perspiration ran down the side of his face. He hurried to dab his face with a napkin he removed from his pocket with trembling fingers. 

"Why, yer majesty. I was- that is to say, I- ...I was working undercover milord." 

John regarded him with suspicion, but deigned to let the matter slide for the time being. There were matters of larger importance to discuss. 

"Get to it man. What have you discovered?"

"They are travelling North, towards Scotland yer majesty."

The man spoke too quick. He spoke as if on automaton, John dismissed him. As soon as he left the room he sent for Smith, his commander. 

"Have him followed. I want to know with whom he confers and where he resides. I want to know of all of his movements. Report back to me with anything i should be concerned about."

Watching Smith leave, John poured himself whiskey and sat back. He would find Emma if it was the very last thing he did. He sifted through the papers on his desk, when his eye caught on the correspondence between himself and Stanley. The letters read very professionally yet after meeting with the man himself for the second time, the impression was completely altered. He could sense that he was right to be suspicious of the character of this man that claimed to be Stanley. 

The sky darkened as John settled matters of various estates and completed his duty as the prince of England, before long it was time he was in bed. His head ached from consuming an unholy amount of whiskey. He grimaced as he stood, catching hold of his desk to keep him steady. He had no idea how he had fallen asleep whilst working, but it seemed that it was high time that he took himself to bed. Stumbling around his desk, he groaned as the door to his study was flung open and light from candles that lined the hallway outside flooded his study.

"What in Gods name are you doing man?!" exclaimed John as he braved the glare of the light and squinted at the intruder.

"Im sorry my lord, but i have news of Miss Emma's whereabouts." 

John immediately straightened and it was as though sobriety returned to his being at the mention of her name. Smith saw this as his cue to carry on.

"The dogs led us to an inn just past Berkley village. That is two towns away. Stanley was also seen entering the same inn." 

A stream of curses left his lips as John straightened himself up and ordered for his battle attire to be brought to him. He would not wait until morning to find Emma and bring her back, it needed to be done now much to the annoyance of Smith. Strategy be damned, he did not know what they could be doing with his Emma the thought had him near roaring with fury. 

They rode out into the night, as black as the night sky. The Prince and his men. 

***

Im so sorry its late. FORGIVE ME GUYS. Let me know what you think. As always. Much love. ~fiya.

(unedited)