15. Feathers and Frights

It is Halloween, but I'm not feeling the Halloween spirit. I have more homework this week than I ever have in my life. I try to help keep my own schedule together, but with me bombing the last Astronomy exam, I need a lot more time devoted to Astronomy than usual. 

Harry and Ron disappeared after lunch and I can't find them anywhere, so I walk with Neville to Charms. We giggle about the boring History of Magic Lesson earlier today where Binns actually passed out for ten seconds, snoring for five of them.

"He's so bored that he can't even stay awake in his own class!" Neville giggles. 

"I really despise that class," I say. "I don't understand what's going on at all!" I shake my head. 

"Me neither," Neville says. "I couldn't tell you anything about the 572 goblin rebellion!"

"When's the next exam again?" I ask

"Next Thursday, I think," Neville says. 

"Hey, if you want, we could study in the library together next Tuesday or Wednesday or something," I offer. "You probably have better notes than me. I just practice art on mine."

"Sure!" he says. "Maybe I'll actually get a decent grade on my test this time!"

Once we get there, we check the board for partners. Luckily, Neville and I are partners for the lesson.

We sit in the very back to avoid the large group of Ravenclaw boys that are goofing around in the front, throwing beans that they took from the Great Hall earlier. Ron and Hermione are partnered together and Harry and Seamus are partnered together. After confiscating the beans from Ravenclaws Michael Corner and Terry Boot, Professor Flitwick explains that we are learning about the levitation charm today.

"Swish and flick," he says joyfully, demonstrating with his own wand. 

"Swish and flick," we recite back, not nearly as joyfully.

"Now, say 'Wingardium Leviosa' while swishing and flicking!" Professor Flitwick instructs.

"You can go first," Neville says, pointing to the feather.

"Okay," I say. I take my wand out of my robe pocket and glance at the feather. 

Swish and flick. Wingardium Leviosa.

"Wingardium Leviosa," I say. The feather doesn't move. 

"Wingardium Leviosa," I repeat. The feather twitches, but stays put. I sigh.

I can hear Ron and Hermione argue in front of me. They haven't stopped since the beginning of the lesson.

"It's Levi-O-sa, not Levio-SA!" Hermione corrects. Ron says a few choice words and places his head on top of his Charms books. Hermione gives him a dirty look and places the feather in front of her. She quietly recites the spell and her feather floats up into the air.

"Hey look! See here everybody, Miss Granger's done it!" Professor Flitwick says.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" I say once more, enunciating it better this time. My feather finally cooperates as well and joins Hermione's feather in the air. Neville smiles up at the feather. 

"Miss Potter's done it too!" Professor Flitwick beams. Most of the Gryffindors and Ravenclaws clap for us. Ron looks even angrier now.

Seamus, who's next to me, waves his wand. "Wingardium Leviosa!" he shouts with passion. He does about twenty extra movements, which I figure won't end well. 

BOOM!!

Seamus is covered in black dust, similar to his rum and water incident. I shake out my hair, as some of the dust ended up in it. The whole class is giggles, except Hermione, who waves her hand in front of her to clear the smell.