8. The First of Many Feasts

"Let the feast begin!"

Food, more food, and most food appears in front of everyone. I don't even want to take food yet, I just want to stare at it forever. However, my stomach tells me different. I haven't eaten a full meal since breakfast. 

Arms reach over other arms, intertwining each other to get the best chicken legs and brownies. I end up reaching for a piece of meat after deciding which plate I want to start with. I drop it on my plate and take a bite. I don't even bother cutting the piece. It tastes so juicy, so great, I can hardly comprehend! If I had meals like this every day, I won't be able to go home and eat ever again!

No one is talking, just shoving their mouths full of whatever they could reach. The only audible noise is utensils clanking against plates. This is the most peaceful I've ever heard this hall so far.

I glance at the teachers, who seem to be enjoying the meal as much as us. Professor Dumbledore looks particularly happy right now, but so would anyone that has two chicken wings and a full-sized steak on their plate.

I stare at the last teacher sitting at the table and my hand radiates with pain. I drop my fork on my plate. I can't move my hand. My scar is burning. For such a little thing, it hurts terribly. I start to panic.

As quickly as it started the pain stops instantly. I look around to see if anyone else had this problem. Everyone else is enjoying their dinner and isn't noticing anything.

"Esmerelda! Esmerelda, are you okay?" Harry asks.

I nod and tell him what happened. 

"It's that teacher. He seems suspicious." 

"Which one?"

"Black hair. Crooked nose. Mean looking." He glances at the teacher with black hair too and his hand rises to his head.

"Ouch!" he says. He takes his hand down slowly and looks at me. I shrug. 

==========

"Percy, who's that teacher sitting over there?" Harry points to the black-haired teacher who made our scars burn earlier. My plate is completely empty and basically looks like it had been licked, but most of the Gryffindor table is still eating.

"Oh, that's Professor Snape. He teaches potions," says Percy, the Gryffindor Prefect. "But everyone knows he fancies the Dark Arts. He's been after Quirrell's job for years." 

Percy is Ron's brother, but I was a bit surprised that he was even close to related to those twins we had met. The twins kept firing random spells in people's compartments during the train ride. It wasn't surprising when some students showed up with spontaneous colors on their clothes or a sticky substance in their hair. I couldn't tell if I was annoyed or intrigued by them. 

Percy, on the other hand, seems much more organized and is wearing a Prefect badge, which means that he is in charge of the other students. He gets much more respect from everyone.

I am kind of disappointed to hear that Snape is teaching potions. It is a class Dora said I would probably love due to the love of science in Muggle school. Like Dora says, "There's good and bad in everything."

I watch Ron reach for yet another chicken leg. As he picks it up, someone's head goes through the bowl. Ron shrieks and drops the chicken leg back onto the plate. 

As the thing rises up, it's clear that it's a ghost. 

"Hello!" the ghost says. "Welcome to Gryffindor! I am the Gryffindor ghost!"

Percy asks the ghost about his summer and something about some ceremony. I don't follow what either of them are saying.

"I know you!" Ron shouts. "You're Nearly-Headless Nick!" 

"I prefer Sir Nicholas, if you please," the ghost replies.

"Nearly Headless? How could you be nearly headless?" Hermione asks.

"Like this!" Nearly Headless Nick pulls his head almost off his neck, but it is still attached part of the way. Hermione cringes beside me. 

Nearly Headless Nick shakes his head back into place and says, "If any of you first-years need any help, just ask me and I will be glad to point you in the right direction!" Nearly Headless Nick floats out of the room behind the other ghosts who are just leaving. 

The feast finishes and Professor Dumbledore stands up. "I have a few more announcements before we all leave this fine evening. Please note that the Forbidden Forest is strictly off limits, as well as the third-floor corridor. Our caretaker Filch..." Professor Dumbledore points to a ragged man with an weird-looking cat on his shoulder in the doorway. "...will enforce these rules. All Prefects, please escort your new students to your house."

People stand up and already rush out of the Great Hall. Older students chase after younger ones going the wrong way, and I find it quite humorous. 

"Gryffindors, this way. Follow me and keep close," Percy barks at the first years. I stay by Harry and Ron, who keep pointing and muttering the occasional "Merlin's Beard!"

"Look!" Ron points out. "The staircases move!" 

I look up to see staircases turning slowly in circles, stopping, moving again.

After going up multiple flights of staircases, we suddenly stop walking. I can't see especially far ahead because there are too many people in front of me. I see a gap, and fighting my way through it, I get to the front of the pack. I can see a portrait of a lady, and a large one too. Why are we stopping here?

"Password?" she says sneakily. 

Percy says, "Caput Draconis." The lady nods. The portrait swings open and there is a entrance behind the portrait. Aha! 

All I can see are red curtains from wall to wall covering the large windows everywhere around the room.

"Welcome to the Gryffindor Common Room," says Percy.