11. The First Mail

It has been a few days since I started school. Every teacher is really nice, explaining things that us first-years don't understand, except for Professor Snape. He seems really guilty of something. He doesn't care for anyone except the Slytherin house and hates Harry even more after he put a crack in Harry's own cauldron after dropping it during the third class. Currently, my favorite class is Potions, just because I'm good at it, and my least favorite one is Astronomy. I don't understand the star patterns at all. Plus, it's held at midnight on Wednesdays, so I'm hardly awake enough to comprehend anything. I don't exactly like Herbology (study of plants) either, but at least I'm somewhat good at it. 

I am not hungry for lunch but manage to eat a few slivers of meat as well as raspberries. Ron is doing his homework, while Harry is picking at his food.

"What's wrong?" I ask Harry.

"Oh. Nothing. I'm just not hungry at all."

"Why?" I ask. He pauses.

"Flying with the Slytherins. I don't want this teacher to hate me and make Gryffindor lose points. Then everyone will hate me even more."

"Don't worry," I say. "Whatever happens, I'll have your back. Besides, no one hates you." 

He smiles. "Thanks. Do you want the rest of my chicken?"

"No, I'm about as hungry as you are. Ron might want it."

Ron turns and gladly takes the chicken off Harry's plate and bites into it.

"Eye of rabbit, harp string hum,

Turn this water into rum!" Seamus chants down the table.

"What's he doing?" Harry asks.

"Turning water into rum," Ron answers.

"...water into rum!"

BOOM!!

Seamus is covered in black dust and his water glass steaming, obviously his spell backfired. His eyebrows are completely gone. I laugh, along with the rest of the Gryffindor table. Students from the Hufflepuff table behind us turn and give us strange looks.

I hear an owl tweet. I hear a second, then third owl. When I look up, there must be over a hundred owls, all flying around each other. They swarm the Great Hall and drop boxes and letters into people's hands.

"Mail's here!" Ron points out.

"Hey look!" Seamus shouts. "Neville's got himself a Remembrall!" Neville picks up a fragile glass ball and shows it to everyone.

"I've read about those!" Hermione pipes up. "The inside turns red when you've forgot something!" Ron rolls his eyes. 

Red dust already appears inside the glass ball.

"The problem is... I can't remember what I've forgotten," Neville concludes.

I recognize Captiosus from the multitude of owls. She drops a letter into my hands and she lands on my shoulder. I stroke her head. I recognize the purple lettering. It's from Dora. I tear it open and read it.

Dear Esmerelda,

Congratulations on making Gryffindor! I'm so proud, and so is Remus. Did you know that Gryffindor was his house?

Thank you for Captiosus's feather. I will use it every day, once I turn it into a quill. And yes, I am a little lonely without you. Everyone at home is doing great. I have so much work to do at home. 

Also, you have to tell me if you are going home for Christmas break. If you don't mind, please do get back to me by late November so I can make some plans. Harry can also come if he pleases! It is alright to stay as well is you have plans of your own. 

I'll write soon! (unless you do first)

Love,

Dora

"Ron, can I have your newspaper?" Harry asks. Ron passes it over while reading his letter.

"Esmerelda, look! There was a Gringotts break-in the day that we were there!" I suddenly become interested in the newspaper, as does Ron.

Harry reads the newspaper out loud.

"It is believed to be the work of dark wizards or witches unknown...but Gringotts goblins insist that nothing was taken. The vault in question, number 713, had in fact been emptied that very same day!"

"That's the same vault Hagrid and us went into that day on our birthdays!" I exclaim.

"Hmm...weird," Ron says.

After reading Dora's letter again three more times, the teachers shoo us out because we have classes to get to.

Personally, I'm in no mood for Charms, and especially not History of Magic before that.

All I can think about is flying. Dora doesn't really like Quidditch, which is a sport played on flying broomsticks, and therefore, never really taught me much about it. 

Plus, Flying Lessons with Slytherins don't help matters either. Most of them are rude and cold people.

==========

History of Magic goes by as slow as could be. We literally do nothing except talk about an ancient goblin rebellion the entire time. I draw more pictures than notes. Ron snores beside me and Harry twiddles his thumbs. Also, did I mention Professor Binns is a ghost?

In Charms, Flitwick teaches us the Wand-Lighting charm. It is simple, as I get the hang of it within five minutes, as does everyone else.

Professor Flitwick dismisses us with only a small essay. I panic again, as it is time for Flying Lessons...with Slytherin.