Fine

After pummelling Lauren in an outpour of emotions, Camila finally stopped screaming, but it seemed as though the entire household had heard her for they came running to the kitchen with her father close behind.

"What happened, honey?" asked her father.

"Nothing. Go away."

"My dear—"

Camila pushed her father's hand away and hid behind Lauren. "I don't want to talk to you." 

Her father's shoulders slumped in defeat and he sighed. "Alright, I won't say anymore." Turning to Lauren, he said, "Please take care of Camila."

Camila's heart lightened when her bodyguard agreed. Lauren was back for her. She knew Lauren would come back. But Lauren stepped away from her and turned to face her with a solemn expression once they were left alone.

"Why didn't you tell me you were back?" asked Camila

"I was going to show myself tomorrow morning."

"I-I miss you."

Lauren stood blinking and a wave of embarrassment overcame Camila.

"You're the only bodyguard I can trust. I didn't sleep well last night without you around."

"I did tell your father that you should see a counsellor but he told me you refused to see one."

"I don't need a counsellor. I'm fine."

"But you said you didn't sleep well."

"It's just one night. Like what happened in Singapore. I got over it soon enough."

"Camila, being kid—"

"Shut up. I don't wanna talk about it."

"You're not fine if you don't wanna talk about it."

"I'm fine if I say I'm fine."

"You're very stubborn."

"I could say the same about you."

Lauren shook her head. "This will never end. Please excuse me, I'll be starting my patrol now."

"Fine."

Lauren gave her a polite nod and left the kitchen with the glass of water that was on the counter top. Meanwhile, Camila stood still, steaming with irritation. Lauren was just as stiff as before, as though they had not gone through everything together.

Stupid bodyguard. Stupid Lauren. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

¤¤¤

The next morning, Camila came down feeling grumpier than ever. Her sleep had been interrupted by nightmares again and each time she had woken up, taking fast and heavy breaths. She bumped into her bodyguard while walking down the stairs but Lauren didn't stop, merely giving her a nod in the passing and Camila was miffed. Unsatisfied with leaving things as they were, Camila turned around and stopped her bodyguard along the corridor on the second floor.

"Why are you treating me like a stranger?"

Her bodyguard stared at her with big, round eyes. "I'm on duty right now."

"So what?"

"So I'm supposed to be checking the second floor for any possible security breaches, not standing here talking to you."

"You're doing this on purpose."

"I don't get what you mean."

"This. This pretence. Stop it."

"I'm not pretending."

"We spent more than twenty-four hours together in that horrible place but the moment we get out of it you're like a stranger I barely know."

"Camila, please let me do my duty. We can talk after my working hours are over."

"And when is that?"

"Tonight. Today's my last day so we can talk anytime tomorrow."

"Last day? Why is it your last day?"

Her bodyguard sighed. "Why don't you talk to your father about this? I really need to get going, alright?" And before Camila could ask another question, Lauren scooted down the corridor speedily, leaving her standing there by the railing.

Father? Does Daddy have something to do with this? Did he fire my bodyguard?

With those flaming questions in mind, Camila stomped down the stairs to search for her father.

¤¤¤

"What do you mean you can't keep Lauren?" Camila questioned her father with flaring nostrils, ready to breathe out fire.

"She wouldn't accept my offer."

"Why not?" Camila threw her hands in the air in exasperation. "Triple her pay. Add another zero to her pay."

"It's about the money. I offered to pay her as much as my chiefs but she rejected it anyway."

"Then why? Why would she reject?"

"According to her, you're no longer in danger so you don't need a bodyguard like her."

"What does that even mean? You're still gonna hire another bodyguard, right? And it's gonna be a lousy bodyguard like all the others I've had before."

"My dear girl, I can't force her to work for me if she doesn't want to. And she's quite right. Her skill and ability would be wasted here. She should be protecting someone whose life is being threatened instead."

"How do you know my life is not being threatened? What if someone comes and grabs me again?"

"That's why I hire bodyguards. They will discourage people from trying. And now that the case has been opened and arrests have been made, they won't be able to come for you anymore."

"I don't care. It's either Lauren or no bodyguard."

Her father sighed. "Maybe you have more persuasive power than me. If you can convince her to be your bodyguard, I'll gladly hire her."

Camila stood, eyes flashing fierce. "Then I will."

¤¤¤