Chapter Thirty Four: The Legend

            My heart beat softens. I glance over at James, he still seems furious. No sympathy sparks in his eyes.

“I’m sorry for what you had to see.” James says suddenly. I know he read my mind.

“Don’t be…” I gulp down a ball of saliva that formed in my throat a reaction to James sudden words.

“You saved me.” I add before analyzing the road that passes by. Post after post, I don’t feel weak just a bit shaken.

            I try to grip my hands tight around each other so it’s not visible that I’m shaking like a Chihuahua. James places his hand over mine, he noticed-I failed. I twist my finger around his. He calms my nerves.

“How long have our people been fighting?” I ask. I wonder where it all started.

“Long time ago.” James replies.

“You’re seriously not going to tell her the whole story?” The woman in the back speaks up.

“Do I have to leave you at the curb?” James turns to face her. He’s so frustrated with everything and everyone. I let go of his hand-I don’t want to get that stare from him.

“You can tell me.” I hold out my hand. “Jane by the way.” I add as she shakes my hand.

“Wow you are….astonishing.” She closes her eyes as if she was savoring my touch.

“My name is Jessie.” She opens her eyes a bit embarrassed.

“So go on…tell me.” I usher her back onto the topic.

“The legend states that we were all like you-well your people…” James keeps his eyes on the road. I briefly touch his shoulder.

“See back then if you were gifted and you did something wrong your powers would be relinquish as a form of punishment. There was a woman, her name was Tahill. Legend says she was the most powerful of all. Her only flaw was that she cared for a human- which she wasn’t supposed to. Not only did they take her powers but she was pregnant and when the baby was born, they killed it.” I gasp at the thought.

“They locked her in a tower where she found a book of spells. She practiced it for three years. People believed she was possessed due to the constant chanting, but what she was doing was creating us the immortals. She believed if humans were able to form into some great creation then the gifted and the humans could be able to love one another without cruel punishment. She believed that she would be able to love her soul mate one day. She escaped the tower and began forming immortals. She taught others the spell and soon villages began to be filled with us. She turned her soul mate into one, but as another cruel punishment they tortured him in front of her. Somehow they found out that the only way to undue the spell was with Tahill’s blood.  They locked her up and took blood from her, eventually leaving only thousands of immortals.” As I think Jessie finishes the story she continues.

“Tahill use to say to the doctor that took her blood that she had planned not her revenge, but her united world for all three races. That she had performed a spell on a widow who gave birth to a beautiful baby boy eight months later.” She stops and glances at James. He seems tense.

“Then she grasped a knife and stated that he would fall for an angel, who she knew would lead them to a united world. Then she stabbed herself through her heart. Saving the little of the immortals left. Some say her baby survived and passed its blood onto the future generations only to spark when it flowed through the right person. Which is you Jane.” She finally stops. I blink my eyes. I was too far gone-imagining the whole thing.