Chapter Twenty Two: Clash

            My mother after my ignorance as a response to her question ushers me away from the mirror and out the room. As we enter the living room I quickly spot the open space as the night before. Another lesson-seriously? My father stands in the middle.

“Let’s make a deal.” My father begins.

“What type of deal?” I ask feeling a bit uneasy as everyone begins to huddle around in a circle around us.

“If you can take me down without losing control of your powers, you don’t have to put the necklace on-but if you do you will.” He waits for my response.

“What do you mean lose control-I haven’t lost any control over my powers.” I argue shifting side to side on the heels of my feet.

“You haven’t seen the results.” He states before yanking off his t-shirt demonstrating lengthy purple bruises all over his body.

“Speedy.” He motions him forward.

            Speedy places both hands on my father’s shoulder. He begins to concentrate on the bruises and in seconds the bruising has vanished.

“We can’t afford you to kill us in one of your out-”

“Deal” I answer before he can finish.

“Okay… let the fight begin, remember- only hurt me.” He then starts to circle around me thirsting for my first attempt to attack him.

            Without hesitation his arm flies into the air then suddenly he drops to a squat and with a swift of his right leg against mine, I begin to stumble towards the ground. Landing in a pushup position I begin to feel angry. Pushing off the ground I stand, hesitant to use any power at all.

            My father’s fist quickly jabs my stomach causing me to bend forward in a sudden paralyzed state of pain and suffocation. A sharp pain summons on my right temple as if a bullet had went through the side of my forehead causing me to become temporarily blind. Falling to the ground, the thought of standing again doesn’t process. The feeling of anger has vanished and all I feel is disappointment, betrayal, and some weird feeling inside the pit of my stomach that yells to me to close my eyes and dream; to dream of this touch of this man who I can’t feel as I did the first time.

            As I receive my vision back I struggle to stand once again. A big hard surface is placed on my back- a shoe? Quickly it pushes me back onto the ground. I don’t fight against it, I’m just so sad. Sad, I’m not sad. He can’t, no he didn’t. He must be using his power to make me feel defeated. I give in to his attack and cry into the fold of my arm. My father lifts me up gently.

“Jane are you okay?” His voice becomes soft.

“Gotcha.” I mumble before thrusting my hands at him with force, throwing him across the room. I march to where he landed no longer feeling the sadness that shadows around his talents.

“I win.” I hand him a hand but he doesn’t take it.

“Who said it was over?” He grins before standing.

            This will be an easy win he’s already weak. I begin to circle him as he did to me. He sprints towards me but once again I thrust the power out of my hands making him freeze as if he ran into a crystal clear window.

            Suddenly I can feel sympathy begin to form inside me, but that’s a mind trick my father is playing. I’ll just do the opposite. I begin to force him down on all fours as I make his muscles cramp.