Chapter 24

Stella POV

    Brayden had returned to the castle with grave news. We were to prepare for a battle if we won, we would receive Rose. I didn’t like the thought of my daughter being used as a trophy of war, but I wouldn’t lose her again. I also knew there was no way of talking Brayden out of something when he had his mind set. If he wanted Rose back, he would get Rose back.

    I slipped a silky robe over my night gown, and tied it around my waist. I then stumbled over to my balcony overlooking the vast courtyard that was filled with creatures ready to fight for Rose. I was terrified for them, for Rose, and for Brayden, but the odds looked like they might be in our favor.

    In the courtyard that had hastily been changed to a temporary battle camp, Brayden was stalking up and down the lines, back ramrod straight like a true leader. “Come sunset, we will march into the battle field,” I heard Brayden yell. His fists were clenched at his sides, and I knew all too well that the anxiety was killing him.

    I turned away from the desperate scene and went to prepare for battle, no matter what they said, I was going to fight for my daughter.

Rose POV

    My Auntie entered the room with such grace, it was hard not to stare. Her hips sashayed back and forth with each step, and the material of her black dress clung to her body very tightly, displaying all of her womanly curves. I found I was in awe of her. No wonder Marcus fancied her, but why couldn’t he be happy with just her? Any man would.

    Anaya looked like my mom in so many ways, it was easy to tell that they were siblings, but she looked very different as well. She had a strong jaw line and high cheekbones just like my mother and I, but her eyes were more of a sapphire color, and though her hair was just as long and beautiful, it was raven black. Her skin was not the same tan tone as my mine and my mother’s either, rather it was a fairly pale complexion.

    My auntie looked like a mouthwatering model that couldn’t be a day over twenty, and she had that delicately strong aura about her. The way she moved with just surety and not one step faltered.

    I heard her sigh, and I looked straight into her piercing eyes. “I’m supposed to make you look…” she paused, “Appetizing” she ended with such vile disgust, I wondered what I ever did to her to make her hate me so much. The venom in her voice made it clear I was no family to her.

    “Appetizing? What is going on?!” I asked, my voice rising with every word.

    “There will be a war, and you” she jabbed a long slender finger at me, “are the prize.” Her glare burned straight to my soul, and I wished I were invisible.

    “Wha- No!” I felt at a loss for words. They were actually following through on this whole war? I would rather die than see so many innocent lives ended because of mine.

    “Trust me, sweetheart, I wouldn’t mind if you happened to fall over lifeless this very second.” She whispered as she roughly grabbed my shoulders and shoved me towards the door.

    “What did I ever do to you?” I screamed in outrage. I didn’t care what she thought anymore, I wanted to know.

    I was answered with a quick painful slap to the face. I yelped in surprise and I was just about to do something I’d probably regret, but when I grasped for my powers, I realized how weak I was, and how little the sleep had helped. I was devising plans for my escape when I realized Anaya was going to slap me again.

    “STOP!!!” I screeched, and a river of water splashed down the hallway to do my bidding. I used all the force I had and threw a wall of water at Anaya. Then I willed the water to freeze around her legs all the way up to her waist to ensure no escape. “I asked you a question,” I growled murderously.

    “What do you think, child?! Marcus is supposed to be mine. I love only him, and he should love me the same. He’s wanted you ever since you were born, he said there was something pulling him to you. When you escaped to the human world, he pretended like he had forgotten about you, but I know…” A tear traced down her cheek, and for a second she seemed almost… vulnerable. “I know,” she sneered and the vulnerability was gone, leaving a woman with a cold heart in it’s place. “That he never gave up. Are you happy?!” She laughed wickedly and my insides did back flips.

    “That would never make me happy…” I whispered. “I never wanted Marcus to love me, if I could make him stop, I would. If I could make him love you, and only you, I would.”

    “Oh save me the pity story!” Anaya yelled. It was then that I realized how loud we had been. I looked up and down the halls to see if anyone had heard the racket and had come to see what was going on, but there was no one. “No one’s here, love,” she laughed and the sound bounced off of the walls. I whipped my head back to where she had been, stuck in my icy bindings, but the ice was shattered, and she was gone. “No one here but you and I.”

    I was astonished. I’d always assumed that she had power over water like my me and all the other naiads, so why hadn’t she just turned the ice into water? Why hadn’t she just controlled the water when I brought it flooding in?

    “Oh my sweet girl. You have no idea, do you?” Her voiced echoed down the hallway lit by the torches and seemed to smother the flames. I was left in the pitch black of the hallway. There were no windows, but I assumed it was sunset. I was terrified now, to the point that I was trembling. “I gave up my naiad powers to be with Marcus. In return I can read minds when people’s emotions are heightened, and I do well with the shadows.” I could feel her smirk with that last comment.

    “ W-w-what do y-you want from m-me?” I stuttered nervously. “If I d-die, you lose y-your l-leverage. If I d-don’t-”

    “I have to put up with you for the rest of my life,” Anaya’s voice finished boredly. A torched flickered back to life, and she was standing next to it, leaning against the wall. She looked interestedly at her nails, and then looked up at me. “What would you rather happen, Rosaleena?” she wondered, and I flinched when she said my name. “Because from my view point, you would sacrifice yourself to stop the war, but at the same time, you don’t seem to want to die. Why would that be? Oh I see,” she grinned and her dazzling white teeth were nearly blinding. “That boy of yours. Marcus’ brother, Brayden. I always did think he was quite the looker. You love him,” she winked at me.

    Her comment registered in my mind, and my body that had felt paralyzed by fear before was now responding. “You wouldn’t know love if it smacked you in the face,” I whispered menacingly. Her smile faltered for a second, and that was my chance. I used my powers to control some of the remaining ice shards, and threw them in her direction with all of the force I could muster. I took her by surprise, and she wailed out in agony as one shard pierced her right below her heart. She crumpled to the ground, and started pulling out one of the four icy weapons that had dared to make contact with her.

    I seized my chance and leapt over her, racing back to the bedroom where I remember there being a window. I had become quite fond of jumping out windows by now. When I reached the door to the room, I bulldozed straight through without even trying the handle. The wood splintered away letting me through. I didn’t know how I had just broken down a door so easily, but I was grateful. I raced to the window and dove straight at it. The glass shattered and I was free falling.

    The ground was rushing up at me, and I was barely able to use my powers to slow my decent, then rocket back up into the air. It was nightfall now, and I knew the war had begun. I raced to where I heard the battle cries, ready to face my death.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well my pretties, this story is coming to a close, but I am thinking about doing a sequel, I just have to decide if it's worth it or not. Sorry for taking so long to update, I know, I'm horrible. If you have any questions about The Impossible, feel free to ask. I know it's a lot to take in. Also I'm thinking of changing the name of this story, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks! Love you all! Each of you and your loyalty to this story means so much to me(: