Day Seven

I'm going to have s*x with Andy today. Then work out my suicide plans for tomorrow. Sounds good, right? If only I didn't feel like a bus ran me over.

I sit up in bed and glance at the clock with bleary eyes. 12:43. D*mn, I've been asleep for a long time. Yawning soundlessly and using my arms to hold me up, I try to swing my legs over the side of the bed, but my arms give out beneath me and I slump back into the soft bedding.

Breathing deeply for a few seconds, I spot Andy in a chair a few feet away, body slack and eyes shut. Is he asleep?

Well no f*ck, he's asleep! Way to point that out Captain Obvious.

I groan and throw my hands over my face. "Anytime, Sergeant Sarcasm."

Andy jolts awake in the chair, his eyes landing on me immediately. He sees that I'm awake and scrambles towards my bed. "Dakota! How're you feeling? Did you just wake up? Do you need anything?"

"I'm fine, Andy. Just a little worn out." I roll my neck and try to relax my overly tense muscles. Is this what it feels like? Dying? Will I face the cliché life-flashes-before-my-eyes bit or will it all just stop in a millisecond?

I turn my head to the side so I can stare at the wonderful boy in front of me. His dark hair is all messed up from sleep, making him look like a little kid - especially with those big gray eyes. "What happened yesterday?"

He intertwines his fingers with mine, opening his mouth to speak. But before he can, a loud 'mew' sounds from under me. Cleo crawls out from under my bed and stretches his back with a toothy yawn. He jumps up next to me and nudges my unoccupied hand with his head.

Smiling, I scratch behind the cat's ears, running my fingers through his unbelievably soft, gray fur. He puts his two front feet onto my stomach and starts pawing at me, purring like a motorboat.

"What happened?" I ask again, no longer distracted by Cleo.

"Oh, right. Well after you... passed out, I called one of the nurses to come in and help. You know, make sure you were going to be okay and everything. You were moved into a hospital room so you didn't have to lay on the floor and someone came in and said it was just exhaustion and that you'd be fine when you woke up. I'm really sorry, Kota; I know that you don't like it when other people touch you and you probably wanted me to just bring you straight back here, but I needed to make sure you were okay."

He pauses, as if to see if I was pissed at him. Don't get me wrong, I don't like that he let the doctors check on me, but I can't hate him for caring. But I can only wonder, what if they wound out what's wrong with me? What if they found out that I can tell when someone will die with merely a touch?

"Anyway, after they said you were just going to be sleeping for longer than usual, I brought you out to the car- Cleo was freaking out- and drove you back home. Loonie was going ballistic and stayed up all night just in case you woke up and needed her - she actually just went to bed a few hours ago. I told her I'd sleep by you just in case you needed help."

I gather up all my strength and try to sit up again, groaning. "How long have I been out?"