Day Six

Ring around the rosy

Pockets full of posy

Ashes, ashes

We all

Fall

Down.

I bolt upright in bed, the Voice still echoing in my head. The d*mn thing; I barley got any sleep as it is and now its waking me up at a quarter to six in the f*cking morning?! "Will you shut the f*ck up already?" I whisper harshly.

Oooh, someone's snippy today. This is important, so stop trying to get rid of me and just listen.

I groan and roll over in bed. The sheets twist around my legs and I settle back down into the warmth of the mattress. "What? What could you possibly have to tell me at six in the morning?"

Luca was meant to die the other day, but you transferred more time into his Date, if that makes any sense.

"And how the hell would you know anything about Luca? I thought you left awhile ago."

I never really leave, Kodie, you-

I growl out quietly, "Shut the hell up. You know I hate being called that."

The Voice lets out an exasperated sigh. I know, I know. My parents used to call me that. But its okay for me to call you 'Kodie' because I'm you; as you are me and I am you and we are us. Now, self, think of me- or in this case, you- as your conscience.

"You're just confusing me even more." I pry my eyes open once more and start to pace my room. If the Voice is me, then I'm merely going even more insane than I was before, correct?

Nay. For I am not controlled by you, but only by myself, therefore, you. Open your eyes to the world Kodie. You touch the souls of the living- or dying, depending on how your outlook is- and some of their life principle is transferred to you.

Where do you think it goes? Trust me when I say that we do not steal life away from anyone - death is a fate, not a small touch.

But then again, I am you, and you are me. Your, our, mind created a new personality; me! Or sometimes you. We together are whom people call 'Dakota'- I'm the half that stores away vital life and decides where to place it.

I stop pacing and sit shakily on my bed. I mumble to myself, "What sh*t have I been smokin'?"

Ha. Ha. Very funny. Take this seriously, Kodie. You don't think that Luca just happened to be given more life out of everyone else you've touched?

I wait for more to be spoken by the Voice, but it goes eerily silent. "Then why? What happened? Can I help other people?" I wait for it to speak again. I wait, and wait, and wait.