Chapter six - The one I'd sing for

STORY: THE ONE I'D SING FOR

On the face of the force's victim was pain, the cry was accompanied with heavy breathing as the victim swallowed water. It couched and struggled, then it opened its agonised eyes. I recognised the fear-filled eyes.

It was Philippe.

'Philippe!' I screamed. 'Philippe, are you alright?!' Of course Erik now had heard me and knew of my presence here. But I did not care. All I wanted was to save Philippe. Erik walked closer to the struggling Frenchman. He walked slowly, and I hoped he walked towards him to come to rescue. He moved through the water swiftly, and I noticed something in his hand. I narrowed my eyes to see what it was. It was some sort of rope, thick rope bound in a circle.

It was his lasso.

And suddenly I knew why Erik walked so slowly, like a dangerous hunter. Why Philippe looked up in fear to see bloodthirsty eyes look hungrily at him.

Erik was going to finish what he started earlier.

***

'Don't even try it, Erik. Stay away from him!' I commanded him. 'Why?' Asked Erik without looking at me nor stopping his walk towards his prey.

'Because it is wrong. You cannot kill him, Erik, stop it!'

Erik chuckled a merciless laugh. His voice, like an Angel, laughed like a demon. 'I can do it. I can do it and I will. I want to, I need to. We need to do this. He is standing between you and me, keeping you away from me.' Erik still looked at Philippe who looked up in fright.

'Don't you see it, Euline? Because of him, you do not love me, because of him your songs aren't meant for me. Because of his doing you won't surrender to me!'

He turned around and looked at me, his eyes burning with wild fire. 'His filthy brother took away Christine, I will not let his brother take away my true love! Not again! You will not leave my Domain!' His voice became louder and it started to scare me a bit. 'Only with me will you live! Your heart is mine, I am your destiny!'

His angered eyes found mine and saw the damage they had done. Anger floated away, making place for a look of despair like an abandoned child. When he opened his mouth again, the words that flew out of him weren't as angry nor urgent as before. They were soft and trembling. 'Y-you will not leave me to my doom, to damn myself in this gloomy place, will you? I know you wouldn't... Your heart is too pure, too virtuous...'

I looked away, not able to endure his pained eyes any longer.

Then he turned to Philippe again with a new-born rage. 'I have to do this, Euline! For us!' The gloves grasped the lasso a bit tighter. 'Now our united lives will begin with his lifeless body floating in the water.'

Philippe looked up with eyes that looked like they were glancing upon a murderous monster. Fear and disgust were mixed in them. But he came to his senses and started screaming. 'Euline! Euline listen to me!' His voice was higher than usual but the determination in his voice overshadowed the fear. 'You have to get out of here! I will distract this monster while you flee. Go now!'

But I did not flee. I couldn't. I ran over to the fighting men and grabbed one of the candelabrums near me. It had not been my wish to harm Erik or Philippe, but now there was no other way. I had to stop them. I raised the candelabrum high above my head, ready to hit one of the men. 'What are you doing?' Shouted Philippe. 'Go away!'

I whispered an apology for Erik before I hit him with the heavy object. The lasso fell out of his hands and I quickly grabbed it out of the water and threw it metres away.