3

Head beneath the pillow, Anya groaned. She extended her arm to grab her phone and ended the call. Anything to restore calm, yet it rang again.

"Why," she complained.

As she sat, messy hair fell on both sides of her face. Yawning, her slurred voice asked, "Who is this?"

"Am I speaking to Anya Sheriff?" The cheery voice on the other side asked.

The wall clock stated nine-thirty. Anya needed these extra hours to recharge her energy instead of waking up before sunrise.

"You've reached her."

"Great, I have a few questions if you don't mind answering."

"Who are you again?"

"I'm Olivia. I work for The Daily Gazette."

The slumber vanished at once as she focused on the words coming out of the woman's mouth.

"You are the talk of the town, darling. What I have-"

"Hold on, how did you get my number?"

She paused for a few seconds and cleared her throat.

"It's from an anonymous source. First, I'd like to ask who tipped you about your fiancé being at the airport?"

Anya took a deep breath, fisting the corner of her duvet. There are fifty numbers saved on her phone. It means fifty people have her phone number.

An anonymous source, my arse!

"Olivia, this is your name right."

"Uh, yeah"

Now, Anya suspects that Olivia may not even be her real name. She inhaled through her nose and exhaled through her mouth.

Time to act poised!

"Listen carefully, Miss Olivia. I don't know who has violated my privacy by giving you my phone number yet. If you call me again or give someone else my number, I will charge you for harassment. I hope I've made myself loud and clear."

"Yes, Miss Sheriff, forgive me."

What a great start to her morning and mood!

After a quick, lukewarm shower, she wore her black skinny jeans, a beige jumper and matching ankle boots.

"Good morning, my love. What would you like for breakfast today?" Madiha asked the moment Anya stepped into the dining room.

The last time her mother had made breakfast for her would be the last day of secondary school. Kiara spoke the truth. They will treat her like a damsel for the next few days.

Observing her morning owl relatives, Anya answered, "Good morning, everyone. I'll eat a grilled egg sandwich and some chai."

"I'll make it right away," Madiha answered.

Anya took her uncle's place as he left to wash his hands. She poured some fresh peach juice and caught her younger cousins sneaking unusual glances at her. Taylor arrived at the same time her breakfast did.

"Would you like anything, Taylor?" Madiha asked.

"A cuppa would be nice."

"Okay, Anya, I'm heading to the office. Taylor and six of the boys would accompany you to the homeless shelter. All the food and drinks are in the van."