2

Anya's feet scuffed the ground as she moved towards the floral cream sofa. Collapsing on the snug cushions, she extended her arms and yawned.

"Take a nap. We'll wake you up once dinner arrives," Madiha suggested.

Right now, the stairs to climb appeared no less than a steep mountain.

She replied, "No, Mum, I'm fine."

Her fingers grazed an earring. Her head drooped forward. She removed them, one by one, and dropped them with a clatter on the glass coffee table. Next, she opted for the headpiece.

"Do you need some help?" Her aunt Mariam asked.

Anya shook her head, fumbling with the black hair pins the stylist had used to secure it. Fifteen came off before she removed the hair comb with alloy wire covered in rhinestone flowers. Emre's mother had selected it in the jewellery shop.

The low bun broke after she took the veil off. Her hair fell in loose curls. She secured the front strands behind her ear and removed her wristwatch, bracelet and rings. Her finger hovered over the engagement one, admiring the emerald cut. Anya took a deep breath, pushing the memory of Emre holding her hand in his for the first time into the furthest corner of her mind.

"Should I get rid of it for you?" Madiha asked.

Anya looked up. Her mother, two aunts, two female cousins, and Taylor had occupied the other couches. They were all monitoring her every movement.

"Should I return it?" Anya asked.

"Technically, it's your property," Taylor responded.

Anya slid the ring off. She twirled it between her fingers before placing it alongside the other jewellery on the table. Reclining against the pillow, she crossed her arms beneath her chest.

"Won't you change?" Mariam asked, hesitating a little.

"I won't wear a white wedding gown anytime soon. Let me enjoy being a bride for another hour or two."

"Forgive me, Anya. I should have never struck a proposal in the first place. I've put your life at stake."

"It's not your fault, Auntie Mariam. Only Emre is guilty."

Her lips grew thin as she nodded.

With a softened gaze, Anya muttered, "Although, it's going to be awkward for you, given that you and his mother are co-workers."

Nodding again, Mariam admitted, "I've disregarded it for the moment. We were going from co-workers to family members. Everyone cheered for us. Now, we are going to be an awkward joke. This Emre ruined several lives, including his own mother's, by being a selfish brat."

"Did he give a reason?" Her cousin, Kiara, asked.

"He said he has one. Let's play a guessing game," Anya proposed.

Everyone looked at each other with a playful smile. Taylor raised her hand.

"I'll go first. Let's call that girl B, as in bitch. B is his ex-girlfriend. She was not over him yet."

Kiara continued, "Emre is a simp. He broke up with her before engaging you. He couldn't get her out of his mind and decided if he had to choose between B and you, it would be B."

"B is his patient. They got attracted to each other."

Madiha stated, "B is richer than you. We always knew Emre was materialistic by his conversation about his foreign trips. We assumed your life would be good as you'd travel around the world with him."