chapter 3

There was a knock at the door just as I finished putting on my boot. I looked at my appearance, making sure everything looked okay. I  had left my hair in it's natural waves that didn't necessarily count as curly but not as straight either. I had actually taken the time to do a waterfall braid which was unusual for me because I usually didn't braid my hair anymore. It was weird to think honestly, but those small things like braiding my hair or saying things like I used too were almost...painful to do.

I had smudged on a small amount of eyeliner and masscara and surprisingly I had actually bothered with clear lip gloss. I was wearing my usual set of black clothes which included a black tank top, black jean shorts, and my usual black combat boots. I might've worn black converse except I couldn't find them and I have a sneaking suspicion that Damon stole them to bug me. I smack my lips togehter and turn away from the mirror, walking towards the bed and grabbing a water bottle and a can of bug spray. I may be immortal but that didn't mean bugs weren't equally annoying.

"Hello?" Elena called through the door and I realized i'd completely forgotten someone was at the door. I hurry over to the door and pull it open with a sheepish grin.

"Sorry, forgot you were there. Ready to go?" I ask and she nods, looking a little nervous but equally determined. We head out in the car with Alaric and start towards wherever...we were...going. I hadn't really payed attention to where to be honest, I only heard the important stuff. We are getting out of Mystic Falls and finding Stefan and Niklaus. The bad thing about me going is that if both Elena and I are seen then there's alot of explaining going to have to happen, mostly on Elena's part but the good thing is, I can easily protect her if they do see her.

"We're here." Alaric announced and we were out of the car before he could even finish the sentence. I breathed in the nice warm air of the mountains of somewhere I didn't remember the name of and smiled, enjoying the feel of the sun on my skin.

"I don't think i've ever seen you smile without it being sarcastic, dry, or smug." Alaric mumbles under his breath and smile drops and I roll my eyes.

"Whatever. I've genuiely smiled before." I say indignantly and he raises a questioning eyebrow.

"When?" He asks and my eyesbrows crease together as I think about all of my past, trying to decipher a close time when I had smiled genuily.

"Umm...Eighteen hundreds...no wait that was a sarcastic smile...hmmm um well...oh yes I remember! 1492 when Columbus thought he'd found Asia! Haha I cracked up so hard! Hilarious." I say with a small laugh. Elena smiles a little at the thought but Alaric scowls.

"So you haven't really smiled since 1492? Why?" He asks and I frown once more.

"I guess...I haven't really had anything to truly smile about." I respond softly and the subject was dropped by all of us in an instant. We start to hike up the mountain trail up to this werewolf village and I silently cursed when I realized it was a full moon tonight. Since I'm not a vampire a werewolf bite won't kill me, but it sure as hell does hurt like it and even though I can't die a werewolf can still try killing me. Won't work, but still try. And it'll hurt. Badly.

Werewolves also tended to be a sore spot in my history. They started all of this. They started everything bad. I hate werewolves. All of them.

"Are we getting closer yet?" I whined but my words are cut off by a whoosh as Damon threw Elena straight into the lake.

"Hey there could be leeches in there..nevermind." I mutter darkly, realizing much like me, my doppleganger hangs out with the worst kind of leeches, vampires. "Man I need some Bourbon." I grumble and as if on que Alaric throws me a water bottle full of the stuff. I throw him a thankful grin and down the liquid, loving the sting of my throat it caused as I did.