chapter 13

"-And so there was this huge green dragon and it swooped down and it scooped me into it's arms and roared out 'the daughter of Katerina is mine! Mwhahahaha!' and then it decided that I didn't look enough like Katerina for the dragon and it huffed and puffed and-"

"That's enough now, Charlotte." Elijah said with a sigh. Here's the thing, I am no good lying to Elijah because he would always catch me when we were kids. Nik was sulking in the corner of the room because he refused to leave while I talked to Elijah for fear I'd tell him. "Why don't you tell me the real story?" He asked calmly and I looked at him lamely. 

"I can't." I whined. 

"Why?" He asked and looked over at Klaus. "Does he have black mail over you?" He asked calmly and I was about to say that was ridiculous when suddenly Niklaus is right beside me, holding onto my arm and he nodded. 

"Yes, Why don't you leave, Charlotte?" He said and I glared at him. 

"Don't tell me what to-"

"Now." He said through grinding teeth and I pursed my lips and then zoomed off. Oh he would be in so much trouble for ordering me around later on. I headed over to Elena's and sulked in her room until she came upstairs. 

"Why are you sulking?" She asked and I looked up at her with a pout on my lips. 

"Elijah is back." I muttered and Elena sighed. 

"Does he know?" She asked quietly and I shook my head miserably. 

"I need to get out of town, return to Los Angeles! I can't take this, I need to leave." I murmured and started pacing the room. Elena grabbed my shoulder. 

"That'll have to wait." She said seriously and I frowned. 

"Why?"I asked. 

"Because Klaus is waiting outside for you." She sighed and I looked out the window to see him grinning up at me sexily. 

"Come on." He said and I sighed, turned to look at Elena and then jumped out through the window and landed in front of him. He took my arm and lead me too his car and we drove off through the town. 

"Where are we going, Niklaus?" I asked with a sigh and he stopped right out on the edge of the town. 

"I simply wanted to talk. It has been a thousand years." He stated simply and I sighed, stepping out from his car and he followed. 

"Yes Nik, A thousand years. Do you want to know what i've done in those thousand years? I ran, from all of you. Especially you! I've watched as you've killed mercilesly, you even tried to destroy my own family! You've changed, you all have." I said sadly. He scowled at me. 

"And what about you? You're not the girl I remember either! The girl I remembered hated the color black, she hated confrontation yet she would never back down from a fight, she had this light in her eyes, she loved life despite the hardships she went through! She hated men who drank and hated the smell even more. She never lied either! Even if the truth hurt someone, she never lied! Who are you?" He yelled back and I shook my head. 

"Nik-"

"See?" He whispered, cupping my face in his hands, forcing me to meet his eyes. 

"The light is gone, that love of life. All I see is this tired girl who doesn't want to go on anymore." He said quietly. 

"That's because I don't." I stated flatly, shocking him. "I'm sick of living, Nik. I'm sick of this eternity of wandering and suffering. I'm tired. I want rest. I've lived for a thousand years and that is far more than enough for me. Aren't you in the least bit tired?" I asked him and he turned to look away, stepping back from me. 

"I don't wish for death." He spat out. 

"Not death, Nik. Death is such a negative term for what comes after this earth. Peace, rest, happines. I want for once to not have to worry myself sick over the people here on this earth. I want to stop feeling like I have to control everything and when I can't do anything that it's my fault. I want to sit on the other side knowing that the people I love may be in trouble now that they'll be fine like me in the end. I want that kind of peace." 

"Want to know what I think? I think you've given up." He snapped and I shrugged. 

"However you want to call-"

"Stop that!" He yelled suddenly, surprising me. "Stop with the acceptance! Stop understanding things! Stop pretending your okay with them! You aren't the girl I remember." He shouted at me. 

"And you think you're the guy I remember?" The guy I knew wasn't a cold blooded monster!" I responded with narrowed eyes. He gave his back too me. 

"I'm sorry to have disappointed you." He said emotionlessly and then he disappeared. I let out a shriek of annoyance and then started the way back to Elena's. 

***

"Hello Tatia." That woman's voice. How I hated her voice. I started to slam the door in her face but Finn kept it open with his hand and they walked inside the Salvatore boarding house. Currently Stefan and Damon were out and so it was just me here alone. 

"Witch bitch." I scoffed back and she didn't respond to that comment. Esther inspected the boarding house. 

"You live here with those Salvatores?" She asked. I nodded. 

"What's it to you? What do you want with me anyway? Just get out of here." I said in annoyance. 

"Always so hot-headed." She said with a sigh and turned to meet my gaze. 

"I need your help killing my children." She said. 

"Go to hell." I sneered. She seemed surprised. 

"You refuse? I thought you would've jumped at the chance. If they die you will die as well, Tatia." She stated and I rolled my eyes. 

"Yeah well here's the thing, I hate you a lot more than I'd like to be dead. I'd rather poke out my own eyeballs and eat them than help you." I growled out at her. 

"Well whether or not you decide to help me doesn't matter-Elena will. I've come to extend an invitation to my families ball tonight. Must I remind you to be on your best behavior. This is simply a curtosy. A farewell. If it were up to me you would've died a thousand years ago when I stabbed you." She said coldly. I grinned sweetly. 

"And if it were up to me, you would've stayed locked in that box and suffocated a million times over." I said sweetly. 

"Let's go Finn." 

"Don't let the door hit you on the way out." I said and then kicked the door, managing to hit her just a little. How I hated that woman.