Chapter 10 - You Know, The Usual

            Cooper peeked into his studio and looked on his bed. Gerome sat with crossed legs flipping through a book. Cooper’s heart stopped racing and he swallowed hard.

            “What the hell are you doing here?” Cooper stepped into his room and Kayla followed. The shifter Gerome looked back at him, his olive skin glistening in the orange light of the sunset.

            “James wants to see you,” Gerome tossed the book on the bed and stood up. He wore tight dark blue jeans, a black crew neck t-shirt, and a leather jacket. The perfect look for a hit man

            “I thought he wanted us to get out of his apartment.” Cooper retorted as he crossed his arms. Kayla moved into the room and leaned against the wall.

            “That was last night,” Gerome answered with a chucked. “He has unfinished business.” Gerome moved over and squeezed Cooper’s shoulder. He motioned towards the door.
            “What if I say no?” Cooper locked eyes with the Latino man.

            “You really want to do that? After he helped save you.” Gerome stared right back at Cooper.

            “Fine, but then Kayla has to come.” Cooper ordered.

            “No,” Gerome replied and stepped out the door. “Either you’re coming or not. I can’t play this game with you all night.”

            Kayla put her hand on Cooper’s shoulder, “Cooper, just go, if you don’t come back by sunrise – I’ll call the cops.”

            “So the blond has brains,” Gerome chuckled. “Just kidding sweetheart” Gerome stood by the open door eyeing Cooper.

            “Okay, let’s go” Cooper sighed and walked past Gerome. Before stepping into the hallway Cooper added,  “Remember when you used to be my cat.”

***

            James’ loft looked the same as last night. Cooper moved over to the blinds as they started to move up, they were timed. The last light of day disappeared and the lights around Los Angeles had already sprung to life.  James entered the room his strawberry blond hair slicked back and wearing a dark blue shirt, which stood out against his pale skin. His body was lean and muscular and Cooper remembered all the dreams he had of the vampire and him.

            “James,” Cooper whispered walking to the white couches and sitting down.

            “Cooper,” James smiled and poured himself some blood from the bar. “How are you?”

            “Why’d you bring me here?” Cooper wanted to get to the point and get out of there. He owed his life to James but he didn’t necessarily feel comfortable around him.
            “You’re not the one that gets to ask questions.” James swallowed the blood then put the cup down.  “But I suppose I will give you some answers.”

            “James, I really don’t…” Cooper stood up from the couch. In a flash, James was standing over Cooper. The sweet smell of his cologne reached Cooper’s nose. James put a hand on Cooper’s shoulder and pushed him back down.
            “You can’t have your mind read unless touched and you can’t be hypnotized anymore.” James started explaining and walked over to where he left his glass. “These are the gifts of the demon that people who are exorcised receive,” James smiled picking up the glass and finishing the blood inside of it. “They also make you very valuable to me,” James moved to a seat across from Cooper and sat down.  “You can prove useful when dealing with other vampires. So, there will be a day that I will ask you to return the favor to me.”