Chapter 9

"What if I told you I think you're perfect? Beautiful sky in your eyes, it feels so worth it. I know you make me feel alive."-Alive, Adelitas Way

______________________________________________________

Chapter 9

            Emma wasn't exactly happy when she found out how I had treated Isaac. Actually, to be more specific, she threatened my life if I were to ever do something like that again and rushed to call him in order to apologize. While she was on the phone spewing some bullshit about how I was incredibly sorry for my behavior and how I was only doing what I thought was best for Emma, I decided she was a grumpy drunk and should avoid alcohol. I wasn't used to angry, mouthy Emma that yelled at me when she learned I smacked some pans together to wake up the guy she liked. She wouldn't even listen when I told her there was another girl in Isaac’s bed. Her only concern was contacting him and explaining that she had no part in my actions.

            I sat on my bed with my arms folded over my chest and my legs crossed under me, watching Emma pace across the space between our beds. She was picking at her bottom lip with her nails, pulling at the skin when Isaac was speaking. Before this conversation was over, her lip was sure to be bleeding or picked completely raw, but I couldn't get her to look at me long enough to tell her to stop. At least she was up and dressed now, I noted; her hair in a knot on top of her head tied together her white sleeveless blouse tucked into a pair of high-waisted denim cutoffs look. Even suffering from a hangover she was still able to look more put together than I did on a good day.

            I propped my chin on my clasped hands, pursing my lips, and waited for her to finish her oh so important call, which happened sooner than I expected.

            As soon as she lowered the phone from her ear, she whirled on me. Her face was red, her eyes narrowed, which gave her the appearance of being a lot more intimidating that she had ever been before. "What the hell were you thinking, Remington!" I winced when she used my full name. "Just for once I want a normal relationship with a decent guy and you have to go and almost ruin it. Why? Why can't I have something good for once?"

            I wanted to yell back at her, but I knew that wouldn't help anything. The alcohol was still intoxicating her veins, clouding her mind. She wasn't thinking normally, she wasn't acting like herself. I had to remind myself of that.

            "Emma, I'm sorry." I began. "I didn't mean to mess anything up. I was pissed because he got you drunk and he didn't care enough to offer any assistance other than bringing you home. I told you: he reminds me of Mitchell and last night encouraged that feeling. The same thing happened to me except he didn't bring me home, he took me back to his place. I suppose I should be grateful that wasn't the case, but he still could've been a little more caring and respectful."

            "That's not for you to decide, Remy." Emma ran her hands through her hair, pausing to grabs two fistfuls before releasing it. "I get this is similar to how your relationship with Mitchell started, but you have to understand that Isaac is a completely different person. You can't compare them, it's not fair. Remy please, you have to stop treating me like a child. I understand it's because of the anxiety and my constant need for you to be around, but if I need you, you have to trust that I will tell you. You can't just swoop in and save the day all the time."

            Maybe I was wrong. She wasn't a grumpy drunk, she was just an honest one. All the things she's usually too afraid to say come out when she has a hangover. Her eyes were so pained, her expression so open and it was my fault.