13. Muggle

Sorry guys, know it's been a little bit since I updated, but I haven't had much free time this week (studying for tests). But it's here now, so I hope you enjoy! :)

Third Person POV

Evelyn and Jackson's day had started out normal enough. The two had been at work, filling out some files of paper work in their shared office, before someone pounded really hard on the door. They both looked up, glancing at the door, then locking eyes with each other in surprise. No one ever bothered them at this time, not nowadays. In the aftermath of everything that had happened, there was a period of temporary peace, even now, a couple months later. Not much had happened lately, so aside from checking in with families who had suffered losses, missions and disturbances were few and far in between, and they were never asked to do them personally, instead getting a message from an owl or a patronus.

So why was someone knocking?

Apparently not willing to wait for an answer, the person just came on in. It was Mr. Harold, their supervisor. He never talked to them in person much - he never needed to, they always did their job so well he never needed to have a conversation with them. He would just send them owls, with letters telling them what they needed to do, and if they took on a case he hadn't assigned them, he would let them, knowing they were capable. He only ever came in if there was a spontaneous mission they needed to do, which wasn't often.

As it turned out though, that was what was happening now. Apparently there had been a muggle breach at platform 9 & 3/4, and they were required to go and deal with it. They had no idea how unprepared they were for what they would find...

***

Evelyn and Jackson were now at platform 9 & 3/4, searching for whoever the muggle that had accidently gone through was.

"He definitely didn't leave," Evelyn said. "We'd know if he had..." she was calling out slightly as she spoke, as her and Jackson had split up.

"Evelyn!" She heard Jackson scream her name in a frantic voice, and she ran towards the sound. That was when she saw him, holding a girl in his arms. Gasping at the sight as her hands flew to her mouth and her eyes widened in horror, she had one overwhelming thought. Red... The girl was maybe in her twenties, and her long black hair, which had purple streaks, was pulled into a tight high ponytail as it hung over her shoulder. She was wearing black leather combat boots, dark grey skinny jeans, and a black unzipped fitting leather jacket that ended where the bottom of her rib cage would. As for her shirt? Well, Evelyn couldn't see it clearly enough to describe it. There was too much blood for her to see, staining the shirt a vibrant red as it spurted out of a wound in her stomach. It had pooled around her. It was all over Jackson now, and Evelyn swallowed her nauseousness as she realized she had stepped in it.

Shaking her head and breathing in, Evelyn forced herself to think. Do not freeze on this girl, dammit!

"We need to buy some time - stop the bleeding!" She said to Jackson, leaning down and putting pressure on the wound.

"Burn the wound shut, then we don't need to worry about the blood loss." Jackson told her, lifting up the blood soaked material that was once her shirt. Evelyn could barely see what she was doing, but taking a shot in the dark, she aimed her wand at where she thought the blood was coming from. She said a spell to summon fire, and tried not to wince as it burned the girls skin. It's to help her, she thought to herself, but only felt better when the girls face gave no sign of pain. That meant that she wasn't feeling it. The bleeding stopped, and Evelyn felt relief that she had burned the right spot.

"We need to get help before the wound gets infected," she told Jackson, who nodded.

"Well, we can't apparate, that's to risky for her condition, especially since she's a muggle. If I summon the train, we can get her to Hogwarts, then Poppy can look after her until she's stable enough to goto St. Mungo's." After hearing Jackson's plan, Evelyn nodded, knowing it was the best plan they could get for now. Evelyn took the girl from Jackson's arms and into her own, and Jackson summoned the train.

Evelyn stared down at the girl for a moment. They knew she was a muggle. But knowing that, Evelyn couldn't help but wonder how she had gotten the wound. Not from Death Eaters, surely. Not anymore...

Even then, there was a much bigger question. After she had gotten hurt, how had she known to go through platform 9 & 3/4?

***

Jay paced nervously around the room. "She should be back by now..."

Jane looked up. "I'm sure she's fine," she told him. "Besides, you would be able to feel if she wasn't, right?" Jay shook his head and looked at her. "That's why I'm worried. Something feels wrong." Jane frowned at that.

"Well... even if something happened, she's smart. As soon as she can, she'll call you and tell you what happened. She'll be fine, I promise," Jane told him. Then she added, "we don't call her Ace for nothing. Tell me again how she earned that nickname?"

Jay cracked a smile. "Because she's an ace killer, and an ace survivor." Jane nodded. She looked up for a moment, concern on her face. "Who's watching the kid?" She asked. Jay looked up at her. "Don't worry, she's with my aunt."

For a moment, they fell into comfortable silence. Jay was still a little on edge though. How could he not be? Adopted or not, the person missing was his sister. More than that, his parabatai! He sighed, closing his eyes.

Astra... he thought, where are you?

OK, let's face it, most of you saw that coming, so not really a major plot twist. Still, for those of you I did surprise, I'm proud of myself for surprising you.
I'll try to update soon, I promise! Love you all <3
-Kaylee