Chapter 1: Scarfs and Stalking

.:Espresso:.

( chapter has been revised again. )

Chapter 1: Scarf’s and Stalking

When Arabelle was a small innocent child, not more than five years old with her dark hair tucked in two small pigtails and her green eyes filled with innocence and curiosity, she would always go to the sea; granted the fact that she lived near the vast water body. She had always loved the sea, especially under the small bright beads that littered the sky. She would always squeal in excitement as the cool water would hit her toes and the stars would wink at her. Nothing in the world would stop her, not even her mother who would sternly scold her about catching a cold. But inside, even her mother would laugh at the adorable laughter and giggles emitted from her daughter when she would run towards the sea, her arms spread wide.

Of course, all the laughter and happiness was stolen from her when her mother just disappeared. Most people would argue and say that her mother had abandoned her, but Arabelle would always assure herself that her mother has just disappeared, she hasn’t abandoned her. That thought would just hurt.

Then she was made to live with her aunt and uncle and their adorable son. Arabelle didn’t mind in the least, it was like having a family again, but sometimes she would just wish to return to the sea where she once belonged.

The heavens today let loose large shimmering flakes, floating along the monotone waves of the air and finally dropping at its destination, the earth. The alabaster snow had covered the ground like a warm blanket. The place was filled with aura of peace and serenity.

Arabelle let out a contented sigh as she skipped cautiously on the snow filled sidewalk, her pigtails flowing behind her along with the woven scarf draped loosely around her neck. It was holidays and she was more than obliged to treasure her free time on her favorite cafe, reading her book and enjoying the bitter taste of the coffee evade her senses.

The bell of the door jingled merrily as she opened the door, welcoming the warm atmosphere of the café, compared to the chilly frost outside. She took in the sweet aroma of the vanilla that had evaded her like a non-existent cloud.

She skipped to the stool perched on the corner, opened her book and laid it on the surface of the wooden table and sat there, completely blocking herself out of the world.  Only to bring her back to life, when the waitress came to her and asked her order. Ordering herself her beloved coffee.

She glanced up from the printed words on the paper when the familiar chime of the bell greeted her ears; she glanced up to see the new comer, only to be welcomed by black.

A teen, about her age, which was to say fourteen prowled to a seat away from her. A dark aviator hung loosely on his thin frame. His dark hair was messed around, sticking up to different angles. His complexion was pale, almost alabaster. But when Arabelle saw his eyes, she was transfixed.

Those eyes. They looked so broken, like shattered stained glass. They were dark brown that they almost looked inky black, without any pupils. Dark circles hung under them, and she grimaced at the hurt they contained.

He turned to look at her, and she quickly swiped her eyes away. She could hear him scoff.  A moment later she heard him order black coffee, the only coffee she had never drunk.

She sipped her Espresso, savoring the rich taste that took control of her taste buds. A shiver ran down her spine when she felt someone watching her. Arabelle looked around and met the eyes of the stranger. She raised her eyebrow in question, but he didn’t move, but merely looked at her with coldness, as is asking her worth. He smirked at her expression and shook his head scornfully.

Feeling offended she took hold of her book and coffee and stood up, the sharp coldness of the eyes burned in her memory. Scrunching her eyebrows together, she shook her head and headed towards the door. Maybe she should just visit the park…

Smiling at that thought, she skipped out of the café, not noticing that her scarf feel down on the wooden floor, only to be picked up by the stranger.

Arabelle took in the cold frost of the air, shuddering when the icy knives pressed against the bare skin of her neck. Too late she realized that she somehow dropped her scarf somewhere. A sigh escaping her lips she made way to her home.

Her brain went to function about the stranger she met today, he looked so lost. As if he was trying his best to stay strong but he knows he has hit his breaking point.

Arabelle was so lost in thought that she didn’t notice someone walking behind her. She kept on replaying the moment that happened not so long ago that she wasn’t even able to hear the footsteps of someone following her.

She yelped when she felt someone shake her shoulder. She swished around rapidly and without even considering whom the person was she smacked him on the head, resulting with a smack!

The culprit covered in pain, clutching his head. He groaned, muttering curses in Greek, which somehow Arabelle understood.

“What do you think you doing, following me?” she asked furiously.

The stranger stood up straight, clutched his head glaring at her with eyes that Arabelle recognized with shock.

“You!” she exclaimed, “Why are you following me, huh?”

The stranger knitted his eyebrows together in disbelief. “You don’t just go hitting people on the head with a book!” he lashed out. Arabelle squinted her eyes in disbelief, only then she realized he was clutching her scarf.

“Hey, you stole my scarf!” she accused him. And before he could say something she snatched it from his hands.

“You dropped it” he said casually, as Arabelle rubbed her red cheek along the soft cloth.

“Hey…” she said, looking at him with wide eyes in curiosity, “What’s your name?”

“Why?” he said smirking, “Are going to stalk me?”

She glared at him “In your dreams, Mister!” with that she turned around with a huff and started walking away.

“Nico di Angelo.” she heard him say after awhile of silence.

Arabelle turned around to the owner of the voice.

He wasn’t there.

Yes, yes I know I changed the chapter.  I wasn’t really happy with the chapter I wrote previously as it didn’t have any link with the title or the plot, I don’t even know why I wrote it. Probably because of being deprived from sleep. (That’s what reading too much fanfictions does to you..)

Tell me what you think!

This chapter is for Hira Ahmad11 who has tolerated me and comforted me during all my fangirl phases.