Chapter 10: The Wrong Place at the Wrong Time.

Thank you all for reading, i love you so much! xx       

*****************************************************************************

           The horrible phone call went a little like this.

“Hello is this Jade Montez?” an unfamiliar voice asked over the phone.

“Yes this is she, who is this?”

“This is the Police. Your friend Devin has been in a car accident and we saw you were the last call on his phone. He has been rushed into the emergency room and is in a coma. He has been rushed to Miranthy Hospital if you were concerned.”

             My whole body was in shock. I couldn’t speak or think so I just hung up the phone. I rushed out of my room, not bothering to tell my mom where I was going, and hopped into my car. I’m pretty sure I went past the speed limit that night, because I needed to get to the hospital. I rushed to the front desk.

“What room is Devin Kapersky in?!” I practically shouted.

“Umm, room 103 miss.” The receptionist replied.

“Thanks.” I ran down the hallways looking for room 103 when I heard faint weeping in a room nearby. Room 103. Devin’s mom was crying quietly while Devin lied in the hospital bed motionless. I had met Devin’s mom a couple times, but usually she was struggling with the 4 young siblings that Devin had.

“Jade? Do you know what happened?” she choked out between sobs.

“No I have no idea! I just received a call from the police.” I started to cry as well at the sight of Devin. He had cuts all along his cheek and his arm was badly bruised. Not to mention a black eye. His eyes were closed and he looked like he just slept silently. I had gotten a coma when I was four, and I had wondered what I  looked like. This must be it.

“I wish I could stay but the kids are all alone at home and they must be scared. Please call me Jade, please?” she sounded so desperate. She stared at me with eyes full of hurt and worry.

“I promise I will Ms. Kapersky.”

“Thank you Jade. It means a lot.” She kissed Devin’s forehead and silently told him she loved him, then left the room. The thoughts in my head were going crazy. Devin and I were all alone in the room. All of our memories came flooding back to me. Starbucks, the beach, the hugs, the carnival, the endless talks on the phone late at night, the laughs, the texts, the pranks, the road trips. They all had me falling for him harder and harder. I wondered if I would be able to do anything with him again. I didn’t know what I was doing, when it all came out.

“Devin, I don’t know if you can hear me, but I have something to say. Ever since the day you came up to me I thought I had feelings for you. I was confused because you were supposed to be my best friend and only that, but you had me head over heels. You treated me better than any guy or girl friend has ever treated me.” I started crying then. “If you don’t make it, I don’t know what I’ll do. You are my only friend, but I’m glad you are my only friend. And I’ve always wanted to be more than friends with you… Please wake up. Devin…I love you.”

I started to sob. If Devin didn’t wake up, I wouldn’t have anyone left. Of course I had my family, but I honestly did not have any other friends. I had heard that during comas, you could hear. And somehow I secretly hoped Devin heard that. My heart and hopes leapt up as Devin slowly opened his eyes. I was nervously waiting for a reaction.

“I love you too.” He said wearily, but smiling. I felt like I was floating on air.

*****************************************************************************

Why/how do you think Devin got in the accident? ;o