-24-

M A R S H A N

"I won't go against her kuya." I said to Kuya Spencer. Nandito kami sa may balcony ng unit na binili namin upon arriving here in the Philippines. I don't remember how much I know in speaking Tagalog, but I am the one who taught Maxene the language. Nahasa na lang nung kunin kami nina Lolo. 

I have this fear of coming to this place, I know their language, it's my mother tongue, thus, it only means that I came from here. Nandito ang pamilya ko, dito ko malalaman kung sino talaga ako. 

I met Maxene when I was 6, and Maxene was born in Venom. Lumaki si Maxene sa Venom, it means we grew up separately, the question that kept bugging me is how and why Maxene and I were separated? 

Did our parents abandon her? Were she also kidnapped? 

But I remember what the Lord of Venom once said when he's beating up Maxene in front of us. 

"You owe us your life! You were sold to us by your parents just to save your twin! No one needs you!" 

Nanginginig ang kamay kong muling sinubo ang sigarilyong hawak ko. Our parents sold her to save me, something my mind doesn't want to absorb. Maxene is my greatest love, knowing that someone can easily abandon her crushes my heart. She has been through a lot, she doesn't deserve all of these. 

She needed love. 

At nakikita ko iyon sa mga kaibigang nakapalibot sa kanya, why would I go against it? Simple things can make her happy, and I would be willing to give her everything even if it's against the rule. 

"What if malaman ito ni Lolo?" Sumandal si Kuya Spencer sa railings at bahagyang tumingin sakin. 

"Malaman ni Lolo? I know that you already know that Raphael's family is part of Venom kuya. Maxene knows that for sure, it's not about being a part of Venom, it depends on whose family we are part of." 

Bumuntong hininga si Kuya sa narinig. I know he knows too much. And he's not willing to tell us everything he knows.  

"You know she doesn't have much time left." I told him. Dinikdik ko sa ash tray ang sigarilyong hawak ko. 

"I won't let that happen, Maxene will live longer. Ipipilit ko iyon, ilalaban ko iyon." He firmly said. I've been a witness on how Kuya Spencer kept on pushing Maxene to undergo several surgeries and therapies, lagi siya noong nakabantay sa kanya during her executive check ups.

"I hope so Kuya." I sighed. But I know how Maxene thinks, I made her promise me that she'll be my maid of honor by the time I'll be getting married but she just always smile at me. 

Maxene doesn't want to make promises anymore because she's sure every promises she'll make will be left broken or unfulfilled. 

"Pumasok ka na sa kwarto mo Marshan, I've fix your papers already. Maaga pa pasok mo bukas."