Wait.

Oswald's POV

"Oh- okay," I say. I button up my shirt and stand. My eyes drift over to where Ed is, near the sink. I wonder if he's alright.... Why does he need me? Doesn't he hate me?

My mobile phone- apparently undamaged -buzzes in my front pocket. I sigh and go just outside the door to answer it.

"What is it?"

"I have more info on Sofia," Victor replies. "It'd be better to talk about in person, but if-"

"We'll talk about that later. For now, pick Martin up at the Narrows. Cherry's Place."

"The kid; You found him?"

"How else would I ask you to pick him up? Just hurry. He's injured."

I slap the phone shut and walk back into the room. The chair is back in the corner of the room, Martin is still sleeping, and Ed is... literally just twiddling his thumbs.

"Ed," I say. He looks up at me with wide eyes. "The boy is going to be picked up and taken back to the city. Do you think we can talk?"

"Oswald, I.... I don't-"

"You know, you're right, this was a bad idea, I'll just go home with Mar-"

"Oswald, wait," Ed interrupts hastily. "I think it's a good idea. I just need some fresh air, to get rid of my... headache." He rushes out of the room. 

I stand in the room, patiently waiting for either Ed to return or Victor making his appearance. I flip open my phone; no missed calls or messages.

Suddenly, I hear a gunshot. 

What the hell?

I run out to see the situation, following the sound-
and find that guard on the ground, blood pouring out from his head. I look up, expecting there to be an angry crowd, but everyone seemed unbothered by the sudden death.

"Boss!" Victor exclaims, poking his head through the doorway. "He wouldn't let me in, so-"

"You could've called me, you idiot!" I yell, mildly horrified at the attention he could have brought upon me.

"I dropped my phone at the pizza place," Zsasz replies.

"I- What? Whatever, I'll bring Martin to the car, just sit there. Don't do anything else."

****

The car drives off with Martin in it, safe and sound. I turn to head back inside, to talk to Ed-

"Hia, Mistah Penguin!" A young woman (who looks about 20) stops me from entering, smacking her wad of gum and putting her blue hair up. She spits out the gum right near my shoe and takes a step forward.

She smiles. "Eddie's said a lot about ya, ya know that? I'm gonna do him proud; Ain't no way you're nearin' him."

"Excuse me?" I snap. "Listen lady, I'm fully aware of what Ed's said about me, but I actually need to talk to him about issues otherwise, so if you'll-"

"Blah, blah, blah." She sticks her tongue out. "Less talkin', more stabbin'." The girl swiftly pulls a switchblade out of her pocket and raises her arm. Before I can do anything...

A figure comes near her and promptly breaks a glass bottle over her head.

I realize who it is and suck in a breath. "Dr. Thompkins."

"Hey, Oswald. Have a moment to chat?"