Hidden.

Ed's POV

What did I just witness?

I'd just gone out of the building to collect my thoughts, and interrupted by... Oswald risking his life for a random child. Did I see things correctly? Was that really him?

"Yes it was, Eddie boy!"

Again?

I clock my head to the side just to be greeted by the Riddler's wide smile.

"You do know what this means, right?"

I scoff and turn back so I can get back to the place I'd wanted to leave so bad. It's better to stay indoors.

"You know you can't ignore me, Ed," he whispers. "This is the opportune moment to get what you really want."

"What, him? Oswald?" I ask.

"Yes, him, duh!"

I make an annoyed face. "I'm fine without him. I- Well, it's not like he wants to see me anyways. I'm better off making fun of him rather than getting his help."

As I open the door into Cherry's Place (it really should be called Leslie's place now), my vision vanishes. But I'm left with his words scurrying throughout my brain.

Maybe... maybe I should try to see him. Without letting him know my intentions.

For the first time in a long time, I've made a plan of my own.

I walk towards Lee.

"Doc, a word please?"

She nods and raises her eyebrows. I take a breath before realizing that she wants me to talk.

"Well, I was wondering if I could take over your shift today. You know, in helping the... hurt people."

"What? Why?"

"As you remember, I hope, I worked in forensics. Yeah, I know this isn't the same thing, but I do know how to-"

"No," she interrupts, "I mean, why would you want to help anyone?"

"It's not.... I think that working with these things- these people will start up my brain cells a bit."

Lee gives me a confused look, tilts her head down and says, "No, no, that's not it. You're in the hopes that I can do that for you. I think you're trying to get something off of your mind, Ed. We can talk about it, you know. And don't bother lying to me- I've been told that I'm good at reading people, and my skills have yet to fail me."

"I- no- no, I just need to be in charge of your office today."

"Why today? Why do you need to be there? If I didn't know better, I'd say you're hiding plans bigger than what I'd expected. Maybe you're not as stupid as you were when you first came into this dump."

Our eyes meet. I blink several times, desperately trying to avoid her pulling any more information from my expression.

Too late.

"Are you expecting someone to come seeking medical attention?"

"No, Dr. Thompkins, I-"

"Oh my God, you are!" She smiles, obviously content with the fact that she's practically ripping the thoughts straight from my head. "Maybe Jim... maybe that's why you don't want me here. Wait, no, he wouldn't come here for..." Leslie's voice trails off into a mumble. Her eyes trail all over the room, but slow down upon sight of the fighting ring.

Please, don't say-

"Penguin? It's Penguin!" she exclaims. I'm not sure whether to be shocked, annoyed, or furious, but I feel heat rising on the edges of my cheekbones. "Sorry I- are your cheeks red?"

I purse my lips and cross my arms, covering embarrassment with anger.

"Ed," Dr. Thompkins starts in a surprisingly calm voice, "I've figured this much out. Tell me what happened, and I'll let you use the room."

I take a deep breath and look down and the floor.

"Fine. But I have to make it quick."

*****

"So, he willingly put himself in the way-"

"Of the of the bullet, yes, for the kid I saw."

"And you now see that Cobblepot would sacrifice himself for people he cares about." I nod in response. "How does this affect you personally?"

"Well," I say, "I... I see myself. I mean, I- I see the Riddler. I don't know, a darker, smarter version of me. When I lived with Oswald, I... never hallucinated. Like he kept me intact or something. It's stupid. I don't expect you to understand, I barely understand it myself."

"I'm gonna make some assumptions here. Stop me if I'm wrong," Leslie says. "Cobblepot broke you out of Arkham- I mean, you definitely weren't released upon sanity- and he didn't just do it because he needed an intellectual as his chief of staff. You were close. But how close, I wonder? He kept you 'sane.' But then something triggered you to, well, pull the trigger on him; or whatever you did to the former mayor. He came back, damaged your brain... yet you're still obsessed with him."

"You're wrong, Doctor," I say. "I'm not... obsessed with Oswald."

"No? Day after day, you mock him and talk about him. I thought it was just because you hated him, but this has enlightened me. You're afraid to admit to him what you've previously denied. Whether that's friendship, the need for help, or something more... I'm not too sure if it's just one thing. You said you don't expect me to understand, but I very much do. I was once blind to the emotions hiding inside of me. Do you know who Don Falcone is?"

I nod slowly.

"I wanted to kill James Gordon for murdering my husband.... Falcone told me this: 'You talk of hate and revenge, but that's only to hide what really scares you.'"

"Where are you going with this?" I snap.

"The thing I feared was admitting to my true feelings, Ed. I loved Jim, and I never loved my husband more than I loved Jim. I tried to cover my love for him with hatred. I'm starting to think that you're doing the same... with Oswald."

I gasp. Of all things, I did not except her to come to that conclusion.

"What?! No! I need help, I don't need him falling for me again- er, I-"

"Again?" Lee's eyes widen drastically.

"Look, my intentions are purely for my own sake, okay?" I cut my hand through the air, hoping that this conversation will end.

"Okay, then." She motions a hand gesture telling me that I now have access to the office.

I turn to leave when a woman comes to us and says,
"Your rival is here. Our enemy is here. Oswald Cobblepot is here."