She's someone else's special someone *4*

Chapter 4

..........................................................................

(Michael's P.O.V)

The jeep came to an abrupt stop and I realized we were at home. The sky was dark now and you could hear the crickets in the background. Katie's arm came around me for support as Brandon opened the back door.

"Take it easy." He murmured distractedly, while helping me out.

I looked at him hard, wondering where the sudden compassion had come from. Since when had the angry older brother become the concerned one instead? He was too busy in his own thoughts to catch me staring, so I ignored it and stepped out, balancing myself on my feet.

Katie was immediately by my side, walking me the entire way to the door. I could feel Brandon's stare digging into my back. I couldn't keep myself from grinning a little; he still had it bad, didn't he.

I was just stepping over the threshold when Katie suddenly stopped and her arm disengaged from mine. I looked at her with a confused expression, which she returned with a simple sigh.

"Why don't you head in, I'll stay out for a bit and catch some fresh air." She seemed tense and a little nervous.

My first instinct was to demand why she'd want to stay out in the cold when she should be helping me to my room, especially considering I'd just recently suffered a damn attack.

But I reminded myself to keep my emotions in check and under control, who was I to demand anything?

I nodded and went in, though a part of me rebelled.

Going up the stairs, only two things went through my mind. One, Katie was outside on the porch, distressed and anxious over something, and two, the only other person to comfort her was Brandon.

........................................................................

(Brandon's P.O.V)

I heard some whispering at the door, but kept on minding my own business. Katie was probably all up on Michael and fussing over his health at the moment, and quite frankly, I wasn't too interested in witnessing that.

So I continued to swipe the old rag across the windshield and clean up the jeep a little. The night breeze was a breath of fresh air compared to the earlier humid weather.

I remembered many similar nights from the past, the only difference being that back then I had someone to share them with.

There were soft footsteps behind me, and I immediately registered them as Katie's. She was always light on her feet, the perfect little lady that she was.

"Why'd you do it?"

The melodic voice was so much different from the screeching and yelling earlier today. Katie could change in a matter of hours, but then I should know that better than anyone else.

I turned and arched an eyebrow, wondering where the question had come from and what she was referring to.

"Why did you come all the way to the beach to tell me? Why not just wait until we got home?" she asked quietly.

She had a strange look in her eyes, it made me want to walk over and push away the strand of hair that had come loose. It also made me want to do other things, things that I no longer had the right to do.

"You should go inside. It's getting chilly." I said abruptly.

This wasn't the time to get into a damn conversation about why or why not I did something. There had been a time when all I'd wanted was to be able to speak, unfortunately, that time had passed.