She's someone else's special someone *10*

Chapter 10

………………………….

“6 months later”

(Katie)

I walked down the street and pulled my hood tighter, forcing the fur lining to cover as much of my face as possible. It wasn’t only freezing cold this time of year, but the added pressure of the snow falling seemed to worsen each day. I’d been forcing myself to and from the office building each day for the past few months, and recently the weather had decided to make matters worse for me.

It usually didn’t snow this bad in this area of the country, especially not this south. However, I’d come to get used to weird, unexplainable things happening by now.

Busy in my thoughts, I missed the hyper dog that had been aiming my way in full speed, and the second I caught his motive he made a gigantic leap. There was a big rush of cold, freezing snow landing on my face, followed shortly by the dog.

I gently pushed him off of me, while trying to keep my files from getting wet and standing up at the same time. It was a difficult task, but at the rate the snow was slipping down my back, I could’ve done anything.

The dog rushed past me and continued on his journey, probably looking for his owner. I somehow managed to grab a lanky teenager walking past me and literally shoved my files at him, ignoring his shocked expression to get rid of the pile of snow sticking to my back.

The boy continued to stare wide-eyed while I slipped out of my coat first, followed by the scarf and extra pull over I wore underneath.

“Lady! You’ll freeze!” he mustered, his lips chattering in the cold air.

I smiled at him and lifted my sweater, causing him to quickly turn his head. Laughing to myself, I emptied the wet contents of my sweater and watched the snow land on the ground.

Quickly slipping back into my clothing, I grabbed the files from the poor, embarrassed kid.

“Thank you so much! I’m late for work, gotta go!” And without waiting for a reply, I continued marching through the thick snow.

It wasn’t until I was a minute or two away from my destination that I saw the billboard. It was mounted high, so that everyone passing by could see. In a small town like this, it was extremely rare to see such a thing.

Of course, I was accustomed to billboards, plenty of them in fact. Back in the city, before I’d moved here permanently, it had been a daily occurrence to see five or ten billboards wherever you went.

Seeing it now, it brought back memories… but not of the city. It was the figure plastered over the billboard that really caught my attention.

He’d really done it. It hadn’t been a careless joke after all. I didn’t know whether I should smile or frown, either way, I was quite surprised. Brandon had never been one to break his word, although in the circumstances that we’d left off last time I’d seen him, it didn’t seem like he would be keeping anything much less his word.

It had been about two months back, when I’d just finished running an errand for the boss and had decided to stop at the local pub for a drink. I wasn’t much for alcohol, but no one could deny the town’s old-fashioned gin. I had been there for a minute or two when Brandon had walked in, his own eyes surprised to find me there.

At first awkward, we’d managed to build up a small conversation. Pleasantly, he’d never once asked me about why I broke things off with Michael. And I’d found myself enjoying the night listening to him talk about his work.

It had been at that moment that he’d asked me why I’d decided to start working all of a sudden, and uncomfortable to answer, I’d laughed it off and questioned him instead.

*Flashback of that day at the pub*

“Why don’t you tell me why you’re not a model yet?” I asked, slightly woozy because of the gin.

His green eyes sparkled as he leaned in.

“I’ll take that as a compliment?” he replied, a hint of humour in his voice.

I was quick to reply, the alcohol affecting me far more than usual, “you should.”

This time he laughed, and continued laughing while I sat back frowning at him in a serious, but light manner. He sobered down a little and played with the ruffles on my dress, only for a moment, before letting go and looking up with a smile.

“Tell you what Katie, I’ll model for you, and in return, the day you see my face plastered over something… and it could be anything, magazine, t.v, whatever… you owe me a drink.”

I sat like a dumb wide-eyed dog and watched him carefully, registering his words one by one and trying to make sense of them. Swallowing another tall glass in unladylike gulps, I wiped my mouth and tried to sit straighter on my stool.

“But… we just had a drink…” I mumbled stupidly.

“Sure, we’ve had MORE than just a drink…” he replied smartly, that cocky grin back on his face. His fingers counted the empty glasses stacked before me, “Let’s see, oh wow, FIVE is it, Katie?”

I managed to give him a deadly stare for a couple of seconds, but couldn’t keep it up for long. It had been so long since someone had tried to cheer me up, the least I could do was accept it.

I rolled my eyes and chuckled, pushing the glasses away from me.

“Alright then Mr. smarty pants. You go and become a big-shot model, and then we’ll talk.” I grabbed my purse, looked in his direction one last time and caught his wink.

Ignoring the cheeky movement, I turned around and walked out as gracefully as I could manage. There was already a taxi waiting outside, and I was pretty certain Brandon had seen it since he would have never allowed me to walk home in such a state.

And just as I’d assumed, I caught him waving at me as the taxi drove off towards home. Leaning back in the seat, I didn’t even realize that I had a big smile on my face.

*End of flashback*

I blinked several times; making sure what I saw was real. And just like before, there it was. Across the big billboard, Brandon’s handsome face stared back at me. It was an advertisement of one of the bigger men’s clothing lines, the ones I remembered from back in the city.

I felt the rush of pride deep inside, and couldn’t help but wonder where he was at this very moment. He’d practically disappeared since that night, and I’d never gone further to look for him. I knew that if I tried to call him, or go over to his house, there was the slightest chance of encountering his brother.

And after six months, I still wasn’t ready for that.

So far I’d managed to keep away from all negative in my life. I’d not only succeeded in ignoring Michael and staying far away from him, but I’d done the same for my father.

It had been over eight months since the last time I’d seen him in person. The one time a few months back when he’d forced himself to come down here to see what I was up to, the house staff had told me in advance, so I left with a few belongings of mine and went looking for a job.

It was time to be independent. And thought the times had been a little rough, I’d managed perfectly fine, and overwhelmingly, I found myself happier than I had been in a long time.

Taking one last longing look at Brandon’s figure plastered above the town, his strong physique shirt less and attractive to many female eyes, I took a deep breath and held my files tighter.

Maybe one of these days, Brandon would remember his side of a drunken promise and come claim that drink I owed him.

************************************************************

Woo Hoo! :D Here it is peepz, the much awaited chapter. I won’t say much, other than that I hope you enjoy this small, but delightful chapter and look forward to my other upload, “I’m falling in love…” :) I hope to have it uploaded in another day/two.

VOTE/COMMENT <3