Chapter 8

After such a serious conversation it got a bit awkward. Whit just Tyler in the room all she could think about was wondering what he was thinking about. They had barely spoken other than short sentences that would never get very far. So after a good while, Tyler finally decided to leave. She didn’t want to be rude but it was a relief he left. The tension drained instantly when the door closed.

            When it was time to go back to school, Rhiley was actually looking forward to it. Cassidy would be healed up so there wouldn’t be any evidence of their fight except for the rumors. And she was lucky enough to learn Cassidy go her Gym class moved to a different time so the most interaction they were likely to have was maybe a pass in the hall every now-and-then.

            Brendon was driving himself and Tyler that day so she was in a fairly good mood. She didn’t want to avoid him but wasn’t sure if he would still act strange around her or not. The moment she met them at the picnic table outside she realized she had been stupid to worry.

            “Morning Red.” They both grinned. She sighed. The nickname sadly had stuck with them. They used it more than her real name. Enough that some of the other pack members where staring to use it.

            “Some of the guys are planning a bonfire this weekend. Are you guys coming?” Brendon asked. He was close with the sports guys so naturally he was more ‘in the loop’. Their popularity was wearing off on her. Most of the school knew her on a slightly more personal level from always being around the two of them. In her eyes, it was a lot better than her name being on a bathroom stall door or something.      

            “I’ll definitely be there. How about you? Need a ride? I would be more than happy to drive you.” Tyler seemed a little too enthusiastic and she knew why.

            “You just want to drive my car.” She crossed her arms.       

            “Why would I want t- Alright, I want to drive your car.” Tyler sighed.

            “What day is it?” Rhiley turned to Brendon.

            “Saturday night out in the woods. It’s easy to find.”           

            “Damn.” Tyler muttered.

            “We can go for a drive Saturday to the beach or something before the bonfire.” Rhiley would’ve been on the ground if she hadn’t expected it. He jumped up and gave her a not so gentle hug.

            “Okay, time for class.” She laughed nervously. It was only a friendly hug but it still felt wrong to her. Abrahm had told her once in their night time meetings she needed to move on. Even he had to know that was next to impossible. You only get one mate in life and he was hers.

            The day was going smoothly. Cassidy had kept her distance and Jax was nowhere to be found. Rhiley was in a good mood all day until Chloe popped up beside her on the track in gym. She slowed down to a walk to make it easier for the human to talk.

            “So, Cassidy disappeared from our class? Did the principle finally separate you both?” Chloe laughed.

            “I guess so.” Rhiley smiled. It wasn’t that she didn’t like Chloe, it was just hard for her to relate with girls.

            “So, I wanted to go to the mall later this week but don’t know who to bring with me.” Crap.

            “You don’t mean me do you?”