and grumble in the dark

Cassie and Zeke came back after their date and decided to join the fun of watching lame but entertaining movies. I got over my fit of laziness long enough to make food. My actions cued the end of the sloth fest and everyone started to untangle themselves from blankets and pillows. It was time for costumes to get assembled and donned; my costume was the easiest: gauzy pants with modesty shorts, a complicated lace up bra top and lots of bangles, dangles and jingling pieces. Even Edward’s costume took longer to get into due to the layers, so I helped Cassie get ready because her costume took FOREVER. Apparently making a cute woman look like Frankenstein’s monster is not a quick hop in and go style. But once she had everything in place, the overall costume was seriously kick ass. And she looked nothing like she normally did. Ok, redundant statement; cover anyone in makeup and bolts and they’re bound to look different. But it was more than the clothes, the costume gave Cassie an anonymity she didn’t usually get a chance to show the world. I liked it so I grabbed my cell phone and started to take pictures with it.

“Let’s go see how the boys are doing.” I suggested. I was waiting until the very last to put my costume on because I didn’t want to ruin the surprise. I could easily be pictured in my outfit because I really am cute but it just wasn't my usual style. The only thing I lacked was the superbly long hair, which I could have used a wig to get the effect of but instead a friend of mine had supplied me with a little spell brush. It would actually make my hair grow to the length I wanted. A little frivolous magic, but I wouldn’t have to worry about losing a wig this way.

Zeke had squirmed his way into actual tight period pants for his costume. I laughed but he didn’t look bad. It was just the idea of a vampire in what were basically tights that tickled my funny bone; it was also weird seeing him with the slicked back coif of the traditional Dracula image. Again he didn’t look bad, just not quite right. Edward made a strangely convincing pirate. Quite impressive actually as his costume was spot on and now I knew why he’d grown his hair a little longer than usual. At last it was my turn to get ready while they were getting the finishing touches of their costumes in place. I wiggled into my pants, strapped myself into the lace up bra and snapped on the accessories; around my hips were dozens of softly tingling coins in a skirt. Then I combed the spell brush through my hair, it was really eerie seeing it go from shoulder to hip length but the effect was striking against my dusky skin. Lastly I slipped the soft slippers on. I looked freaking hot! Apparently the others thought so too because I got stared at when I stepped out of my room.

“You were right Callie that is a good surprise.” Cassie said, smiling at me. Zeke gave me goofy looking thumbs up and Edward just stared a little bit more. That reminded me that I still had to play a role in this which killed some of my happy mood but I hid it well enough.

“I’m guessing you like it?” I asked, arching an eyebrow and doing a twirl for the room so no one could watch my facial expressions too closely.

“I think you should keep the length it is sexy on you Cal.” Cassie complimented. I bowed at her words.

“Thank you. Now let’s blow this pop stand.” I suggested. We stood close to Edward and he snapped us over to Faerie Tales. It was now 9 pm and the lineup was record breaking. The costumes were stellar too, even the crappy ones, people had taken the occasion to heart and pulled out their personal favourites. I saw Mario, a battalion of storm troopers, princesses and a whole hoard of other characters I couldn’t identify. The stellar turnout was because a costume meant no cover charge, and the best costume winner won free drinks tonight. So people raided their memories and imaginations to try and win 1st prize; I got free drinks no matter what, so I wore the costume because I love Halloween. It’s my favourite holiday of the year and not just because it’s my birthday; people get right into the crazy spirit of having fun and playing dress up.