Chapter 13

Time Capsule

Chapter 13

*

*

I sulked my way to class, still holding onto my cheek. I hunched over in my seat, not wanting to interact with anyone, or draw attention to myself.

Everyone took their seats, and just before the bell rang, Niall stumbled in at the last moment looking flustered. He grabbed his seat with all his demon friends and smirked. "Easy and desperate blow in the closet. "

He and the boys all laughed while my heart sunk, and my throat held back my lunch.

I can't believe, still to this day, that he turned out like this.

I decided to spend class zoned out, and to think back on some memories. I was sick of this awful Niall, and just wanted to remember my sweet Niall...

*

"Annabelle! Niall's here!"

I leaped off my bed so fast, and nearly tripped down the stairs, before I flung into my best friends arms.

"I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too, Annakins!"

He had gone away to America for two weeks to visit his cousins in New York, and I felt so lonely without him.

"You handled yourself alright while I was gone?"

"Niall," I rolled my eyes, "I'm 12 not 5. I can handle myself in my own house."

"You stayed in all week? Didn't you get bored?"

"Eh." was all I said with a shrug.

"Hm, alright. Well, come on!" He yelped excitedly.

"Where are we going?" He started pulling me towards his driveway across the street.

"We're going to the park!"

We arrived at the park down the street, and spent hours running around on all the monkey bars and little obstacle courses. When the sun started to set, we sat on the swings and just swung in silence, until I broke it.

"Niall?" 

"Yeah?" 

"Do you think we'll be friends forever?"

He pretended to think for a little. "No."

My face dropped. "What? But why?"

"We won't be friends forever, because we'll be BEST friends forever!"

He cheekily grinned while I stuck my tongue out at him. "You little horse turd! You scared me!"

"Aww, I'm sorry, Annakins." He fake pouted before turning serious. "Annabelle, I promise I'll always protect you and be there for you. And I'm sorry I wasn't there for you last week when Darren tripped you on the playground and called you names."

I looked down sadly. "You heard about that?"

"Yeah, Sean told me. I promise I won't let any jerks hurt you again."

He smiled at me and I smiled back.

"Now let's go home before we get in trouble."

"Good idea." I agreed.

*

I felt bitterness rumbling inside of me at the irony of that promise. He ended up being the jerk to hurt me the most. The worst part was, that he didn't even realize it. Not that I thought he'd care anyways.