Black Knights deception part two

Chapter 3

The Fight Master watched the wrestling with a critical eye, the two squires weight balance was all wrong, a decent fighter would through them off balance with ease. Their technique was scrappy. The fight ended but more through luck than skill. The next challenger stood and entered the ring, the Fight Master's interest peaked; this should be enjoyable. If he and the rest of the knight school masters had to choose the most accomplished squire it would be Farrier. He stood tall and proud in the ring. Stripped to the waist, as he was now, it was easy to see how he had developed his upper body strength during the last year. Even stood relaxed, his chest and shoulder muscles were well defined. He was a lot taller than his opponent, in fact, he was a lot taller than any one in his age group, and until recently lacked the weight to balance that tall frame. In previous fights he had used his intelligence to win, turning excellent defence into one quick and decisive attack, out thinking his opponent but something about Farrier's posture made the Fight Master think today would be different.

Guy watched his opponent carefully, slowly circling him, his balance perfect, which is more than could be said for De Caucey's. He was ready for him; all would be expecting defensive moves, but not today. A slight tell tale movement from De Caucey indicated that he was about to attack. He never knew what hit him; such was the surprise and speed of Guy's attack. Seconds later he was on the floor arm pinned behind his back, Guy's knee pressing over his kidney. The fight master entered the ring and called a halt. Guy stood and held out his hand. De Caucey took it reluctantly; he remained as unpopular as ever.

"Different tactics today Farrier, would you explain why?" the Fight Master asked.

"A Knight who is unable to change tactics is vulnerable. It was not the first time I have fought De Caucey, I believed he would be anticipating certain tactics from me so I did the opposite to what I thought he would expect."

And that, thought the fight master, is what sets you aside.

"Very good, let us see how you deal with an unknown opponent," he said, pulling his tunic and under shirt over his head.

The two men were evenly matched and both found themselves down on the floor several times. The fight was hard with neither giving an inch to the other. Guy's muscles were slick with sweat and screamed in pain. His thick dark hair was damp against his head. He was growing tired, he needed to end this now, or the Fighter Masters experience would rule the day. He was grabbed again and grappled close. Working his leg between his opponents he brought his knee up hard and sharp. The fight master screamed in agony as he fell to the floor his hands supporting his throbbing balls. Guy moved in for the "kill". He pushed the man prone and grabbed him in a head lock.

"Do you surrender?" he asked.

The Fight Master nodded. He watched as Farrier stood and backed away, not turning his back in case of a surprise attack. That is another thing that sets him apart, he thought, he never stands down, he is always aware of the dangers around him. The Fight Master rose with some difficulty and took Farrier's hand. He would be reporting to the other Knight School masters tonight, that he could teach Farrier no more, he had taught him everything he knew.

Robin of Loxley watched Farrier dress, he was impressive, of that there was no doubt. The two of them never spoke; three years had passed since the attack. The Fitzwarrens had left the area without speaking of it or Lady Anna; he thought about it everyday as he was sure, did Farrier. The Masters often played on their mutual dislike, pitting them against each other. Loxley couldn't help but wonder if under different circumstances, they might have been friends. One thing he did know he would rather fight alongside Farrier than against him. He wondered if the others thought about fighting for real. Loxley had no way of knowing it, but they would be fighting for real sooner rather than later.