Black Knights Deception

Black Knight's Deception

Chapter one

The horse was magnificent; he had a good view of it from where he was hiding in the tree. It was big, at least 16 and a half hands. A stallion and a temperamental one at that. His coat was black as the midnight sky and it gleamed in the sunlight. Its muscles twitched as the rider struggled to control it. Guy had never coveted anything before, but Lord sinful as it was, he wanted that animal.

The rider slid from the saddle and led the proud animal to the pool. Both horse and rider drank for long moments. The rider was obviously a noble man, no tradesman would own an animal like that, or dress in such elaborate clothes. Maybe he was a knight. Guy, like most boys his age dreamt of being a knight. Whenever he got the chance he would sneak off and watch the local tournament; usually earning a clout from his mother for missing his chores. He sighed, what chance had he, Guy Farrier, of being a knight! None, he was learning his father's trade and that would be his life, shoeing horses.

The nobleman was still bent over the water washing his face, so pre occupied was he that he did not see or hear the robber approach. Neither would Guy if it had not been for the horse becoming agitated. He saw the man unsheathe his knife and knew he must act quickly. Having height and surprise were in his favour and paying no heed to his own safety, he launched himself from the tree down on to the man below. It was all over in a heartbeat, the impact of the boy falling from the tree caused the man to fall on his knife. A fatal wound, the man lay begging God to end his pain. The nobleman, who had risen quickly at the commotion, did God's work, with one swift blow to the heart. Guy stared in horrified silence, he had never seen a man slain before. He turned and ran behind the tree so the nobleman would not see him lose the contents of his stomach. He was still retching several minutes later when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Some water might help." The man led him to the pool and Guy crouched down and sipped cautiously not wanting to be sick again.

He rose after a few moments and mindful of his manners he bowed down to the man.

"May I know the name of the boy to whom I am indebted?" he asked.

"It is Guy Farrier my Lord," Guy answered his northern accent heavy and pronounced.

"I am not a Lord, Master Farrier; my name is Sir Roger of Gisborne. How old are you Master Farrier, thirteen, fourteen?"

Guy smiled this was a common mistake.

"I am ten Sir Roger," he replied.

"You are tall young man do you take after your father?" Sir Roger was surprised.

"Aye Sir Roger I do, he is the biggest man around this parts," Guy answered proudly.

"You best be taking me to him then Master Farrier."

He turned to reclaim his horse but the magnificent beast was not in the mood to be re mounted. He reared up violently and snorted in anger when Sir Roger tried to re mount him. Sir Roger reached for his crop and went to bring it down on the animal but the young boy stood in his way.

"What the devil...?" He began, but stopped as the boy turned and spoke quietly to the animal; soothing, gentle words as he stoked its neck. The animal visibly calmed under the boys touch.

"You're a big Bully aren't you; well I see through you, you're a fraud."

He beckoned Sir Roger and helped into the saddle. The animal meek as a lamb under the boys touch gave no resistant to being mounted. Sir Roger watched the boy with interest as he led the way to the village. He was a handsome devil. His hair as black as the ravens wing, eyes a piercing blue. His features especially his nose were those of nobility not some uncouth villager. He would be a tall man when fully grown. His posture was proud, as the boy was himself he suspected. Sir Roger was taken aback by the intensity of his thoughts regarding the boy. He had shown courage beyond his years, true, but somehow it was more than this. Sir Roger, a deeply religious man, believed he was in the presence of greatness. He shivered, much as he had when he found true faith, finally he came to understand this was this was God's doing, meeting this boy, and in that second he knew what he must do.