Chapter 4: Lionblaze

LIONBLAZE

            Lionblaze stood on the Highledge, still horrified at the scene he had just witnessed. “Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Highledge for a Clan meeting!” he called, somehow keeping his voice steady.

            “Bramblestar is not the leader he once was,” Lionblaze said. “I cannot maintain the tasks of deputy and leader at the same time. Until the old Bramblestar returns, I need a cat to serve as my deputy temporarily.”     

            “Sandstorm,” he said. Glancing at Sandstorm, he saw a look of surprise in her eyes. “You will be my deputy.”

            “You didn’t say it with the right words!” Graystripe called from the back of the group.

            Lionblaze glared at him. “I'm not dead and neither is Bramblestar. There is no need for a proper naming ceremony,” he hissed.

            “No cat goes into Bramblestar’s den. He is not the cat he once was,” Lionblaze meowed. “Any problems should be reported to me or Sandstorm. If neither of us are here, report to Jayfeather or Shadecloud.”

            He leaped down from the Highledge to have a word with Sandstorm. “Beware of a warrior no cat can trust,” a voice said behind. He spun around to see Shadecloud. “Who?” he asked.

            Shadecloud didn’t answer. She said, “This warrior seems loyal, but in the end he will try to kill you.”

            Lionblaze thought she saw her glance at a cat behind him. Seedfur, Sandstorm, Berrynose, Brackenfur, and Falcontail were talking together, each eating a piece of fresh-kill. Why had Shadecloud chosen now to say this, right after he’d appointed a temporary deputy? Was Sandstorm a traitor? No, Shadecloud had said he. Who was this traitor?

            Lionblaze walked up to Sandstorm. “I’ve already finished creating the patrols for today. You'll start tomorrow,” he meowed.

            Sandstorm nodded. “Thank you for choosing me, Lionblaze,” she said.

            Lionblaze nodded and padded back towards the warriors’ den. Shadecloud was still watching him intensely. “You have been warned,” she whispered as she padded towards her den. “Yes, you have been warned.”