Prologue

PROLOGUE

Seedfur trotted through the forest. The only sounds were the faint thuds of Seedfur’s pawsteps. He trotted onwards, following the route he had taken many times before. And he stopped at the half-bridge and waited.

After a few moments of waiting, the leaves rustled and a gray tom with white stripes padded forward. They greeted each other like old friends. The gray tom was named Thorn, and he was Bone’s grandson. He never knew what it was like to live in BloodClan for it had ceased moons before he was born. Thorn had agreed to help Seedfur to satisfy his ambitions and now it was time for planning. “Hello, Seedfur,” Thorn meowed.

“Hello, Thorn,” Seedfur meowed. “I need your help. Bramblestar can be brought down by force, but Lionblaze is another story.”

“Quite simple,” Thorn meowed.

“How do you think he can die?” Seedfur asked Thorn.

“Just stuff a mouse with deathberries. It’s truly simple. Every cat has a weakness,” Thorn answered.

“Thorn, you’re brilliant. Should we execute the plan now?” Seedfur asked.

“No,” Thorn said. “Let ShadowClan take care of a few of them, and then we can take over easier.”

“After two battles with ShadowClan, then?” Seedfur asked Thorn.

“Yes. You can meet me here at moonhigh. We will rule ThunderClan, and we will take over the other Clans after that," Thorn said.

“I will see you then. May the Dark Forest darken your path,” Seedfur meowed.

“And yours,” Thorn said, dipping his head.

Behind the bushes, a cat crouched, watching in disbelief.

It was Shadecloud.