Chapter 2:Lionblaze

LIONBLAZE

            Lionblaze stared at the morning sky, wondering once again how much longer he could hold ThunderClan together on his own. Would the old Bramblestar ever return?

            The rest of ThunderClan seemed to know that Bramblestar was in a deep depression. They seemed to realize that Lionblaze was pretty much their leader. No cat had objected when Lionblaze performed the ceremony to send Graystripe to the elder’s den. Lionblaze had even had to yell at Grasspaw for asking him when he was going to appoint a deputy.

            Lionblaze walked into Bramblestar’s den. Bramblestar had left the mouse Lionblaze had brought him last night untouched and he looked like he hadn’t groomed himself since the battle with ShadowClan over a moon ago. The Gathering was two days from now. ThunderClan hadn’t even gone to the last Gathering, and Lionblaze told himself that he would take the cats to the Gathering if Bramblestar wouldn’t.

            “Bramblestar!” Lionblaze called.

            The ThunderClan leader didn’t even open his eyes.

***********************************************************************************************************

            It was sunhigh on the day of the Gathering and Bramblestar was still moping around in his den. “Bramblestar, we need you to take us to the Gathering,” Lionblaze said.

            Bramblestar didn’t respond. Lionblaze poked Bramblestar in the side with his sharp claws. “Bramblestar, the Gathering!” Lionblaze meowed.

            Bramblestar leaped to his feet, his amber eyes smoldering. “Leave me alone!” he snarled ferociously. “Who cares about the stupid Gathering?”

            Lionblaze flinched, but he didn’t step back. “Get out of my den!” Bramblestar snarled, rushing forward with his claws unsheathed. Lionblaze turned around and trotted out of Bramblestar’s den. It was a battle he could have easily won, but he would never hurt his leader. “Let all cats gather beneath the Highledge for a Clan meeting!” he called from the Highledge, trying to keep his voice from trembling.

            “Bramblestar is unable to take us to the Gathering,” Lionblaze said. “I will take Grasspaw, Sandstorm, Lilyblossom, Cherrypelt, Brackenfur, Thornclaw, Blossomfall, Dovewing, Ivypool, Icecloud, Molefur, Groundpaw, Cavepaw, Bumblestripe, Falcontail, Floodface, Wavefur, Dustpelt, Woodpelt, Cloudtail, Brightheart, and Seedfur.”

            “No, not him!” Shadecloud exclaimed, thrusting her way through the crowd as soon as she heard Seedfur’s name.

            “Why, Shadecloud?” Lionblaze asked, confusedly.

            “Just don’t!” she said, sharing a glance with Sandstorm.

            Lionblaze hesitated. “You’re a medicine cat, Shadecloud. Sorry, Seedfur,” he meowed finally. The young warrior dipped his head. “I’ll take Flowerburst instead.”

            He leaped down from the Highledge, and the cats followed him out of camp.                         ***********************************************************************************************************

            When ThunderClan arrived at the Gathering, the other Clans were already there. The full moon was shining brightly, casting a white glow on the cats below. As Lionblaze leaped up to sit beside the leaders of the other Clans, Rowanstar sneered, “I thought ThunderClan wasn’t coming again. Has your precious little Bramblestar died?”

            Lionblaze looked at him calmly. “Bramblestar is ill and cannot attend the Gathering tonight,” he meowed. Mentally, he added to himself.

            Mistystar stepped forward and called for silence. “Mintfur, Pebblefoot, and Icewing drove a fox out of our territory two sunrises ago, and all is well in RiverClan. “ She stepped back so that Rowanstar could speak.

            “The black liquid seems to be slowly disappearing from our territory. ShadowClan is still strong, and we will show any invaders that we are,” he meowed with a hostile glance at Lionblaze. Then, he stepped back and Ashstar stepped forward.

            “We scented rogue cats at the far edge of our territory but the scent was obviously stale. And we have two new warriors, Birdwing and Lakeclaw,” Ashstar meowed, and every cat chanted their names.

“WindClan is thriving and ready for the approaching leaf-bare,” she finished, stepping back and nodding at Lionblaze.

            “ThunderClan is doing well,” Lionblaze meowed. “We have three new apprentices; Grasspaw, Groundpaw, and Cavepaw.” The cats chanted their name, except for ShadowClan, who remained silent.

            “Our prey is rich and plentiful now that ShadowClan has stopped stealing it,” he continued with a pointed glance at Rowanstar. “ThunderClan is ready for the harsh leaf-bare.”

            As the Gathering dispersed, Lionblaze wondered if what he said was true. With Bramblestar in the mental state that he was in, was ThunderClan truly ready for the coming leaf-bare?