Chapter 32

Picture of Dahlia, aka, the Nation Charmer on the side. :)

Chapter 32

            “Stop!” yelled Kayla but Varmer pushed Dahlia back against the wall.

            “My lord!” Ellie gasped. “You must stop!”

            Still, Varmer did not show any signs of relenting. Dahlia struggled but for the second time in a very short while, she was being strangled.

            “STOP!” Benjamin yelled and made a shoving movement with his hand.

            Varmer’s hand unclenched and Dahlia fell, gasping and retching blood, to the floor. She gasped for air and filled her lungs with oxygen.

            Varmer glared at Benjamin for a minute and then he turned away from him to face Dahlia. He opened and closed his hands like he wanted to kill her.

            “Beat her now,” Varmer hissed. “Whip her with poison 7.”

            Luna, Cedric and Kayla were bound once more in chains. Each of them was lashed to a pole. In front of them, their weapons were laid mockingly.

            Benjamin snapped his fingers to lock Luna’s handcuffs. He avoided Kayla’s gaze as he did the same for her chains.

            “Are you alright?” Zara asked Troy.

            “Yeah,” he said, vaguely.

            Dahlia felt an invisible force lifting her and then she smashed into the last remaining pole. Her breath caught in her throat and she gasped.

            Benjamin snapped his fingers and chains locked themselves around Dahlia’s wrists. There was no escape.

Benjamin flicked his wrist and the door of a cupboard opened. A whip, green with poison, appeared. Benjamin turned to Varmer.

            “One.”

            Dahlia heard the swish of the whip through the air a split second before she felt it. It slashed across her back, ripping through her jacket and blouse in an instant, pulling away her skin. She arched her spine and an involuntary groan escaped her lips.

            “Two.”

            The whip slammed into her back and she tightened her lips to hide her scream of agony. Dahlia sagged against the pole, her energy going instantly.

            “Three.”

            The whip lashed down again and this time, her aura leapt to her defence. It created an icy shield for a split second before the whip hammered into it. Dahlia lost her concentration and the whip tore her skin from her back.

            “Four.”

            The whip came down again and Dahlia bit her tongue to keep from screaming. Tears sprang to her eyes.

            “Five.”

            Dahlia screamed in agony. She couldn’t help it. Her eyes met Troy’s for a brief second. How could you let this happen? She yelled in her head. I thought you were my friend!

            “Six.”

            Cedric and Kayla were straining against their chains again. They tore at the cuffs but only succeeded in making their wrists bleed.

            Luna was smarter. She was trying to slip her wrists through the cuffs but she wasn’t making any progress either.

            “Seven.”

            Troy felt a flicker of despair at the bottom of his heart. What was wrong with him?

            “Eight.”

            Dahlia screamed again. This wasn’t a scream, begging for release, but actually, a scream of pain and agony.

            “Nine.”

            The clouds were beginning to clear in Troy’s eyes. He gripped his staff. An idea was forming in his head.

            “Ten.”

            “Hhoisha fhesta!” Troy shouted. (Fire ball)

            The ball of fire which Troy had conjured hit the whip. It burst into flames. Benjamin shouted in shock and the smouldering remains of the whip hit the floor.

            “Hhoisha ghefm!” Troy yelled. (Fire twist)

            Before any member of the guard could react, flames erupted around them, caging them. They acted like fiery serpents, snarling at anyone who tried to break free.

            Troy dashed over to Dahlia and broke her chains with his sword. He did likewise with Luna’s, Cedric’s and Kayla’s chains.

            Troy sagged; the effort to control and sustain the cage was obviously too much for him. He reached with trembling fingers to Dahlia, helping her to her feet.

            Unfortunately, Dahlia did not have the strength to stand. She collapsed in a heap.

            “Help her, Troy!” Cedric shouted, placing one hand on Troy’s shoulder, strengthening his aura which was collapsing fast.

            And then the door burst open.

            “If it’s reinforcements, we’re dead,” Kayla said, grimly as she picked up her weapons.

            It was Verne, August, Ella and Olive.

            “We’ll hold them off,” Ella said. “Go!”

            She raised her staff and murmured, “Hhoisha ghefm.” (Fire twist)

            The flames bent to her will and Troy stopped using his magic. He gathered Dahlia in his arms. She seemed so weak and fragile.

            Verne and August began to help Ella while Olive began dropping boulders from the ceiling into the fiery cage.

            The guard had gotten over their initial shock and the cage began to weaken, despite three Magicians of Fire trying to sustain it.

            Luna and Cedric snatched up their weapons and stumbled back over towards Troy, Kayla and Dahlia.

            “Let’s go!” Kayla yelled.

            “What about them?” Troy yelled, pointing at the other four.

            “GO!” shouted Olive.

            Troy closed his eyes and a door in the shadows opened. He turned to the others. Luna and Kayla grabbed his shoulders. Cedric took Luna’s hand and Troy secured Dahlia in his arms.

            “I WILL NOT BE CONTAINED!” Varmer yelled.

            “GO!” screamed Ella.

            Troy ran to the door in the shadows. The others followed him. And the door of darkness swallowed them up completely.

                                             END OF BOOK ONE

This is the end of my first book on wattpad! Thanks to all my loyal readers for sticking with me for so long and to my best friend, angelyntjf. This story would not be here without all of your help. :)