Chapter 17

Picture of Dahlia McLean on the side.

Chapter 17

            When Dahlia came around, she thought she was in a completely different place. The forest was on fire. An all out forest fire. Gasping and coughing from the smoke, she rolled over and came up on all fours.

            She groped around with her hand but she didn’t find anybody. A wave of desperation swept over her and she dragged her right arm around the ground. Her fingers closed around Luna’s arm. She hauled Luna to her feet and shook hard.

            The six-year-old Magician of Air blinked her silver eyes. Then her eyelids slid closed again. Dahlia shook her again but Luna didn’t react other than to open her eyes briefly and then close them just as quickly.

            “Wake up!” Dahlia yelled. “We have to get out of here!”

            Dahlia accidentally let her magic in charming people seep out and Luna’s eyes snapped open. Her eyes sprang open. Troy jerked upright so fast he banged into Dahlia. Verne stumbled up too. Dahlia strained her ears and managed to catch the sounds of Cedric, Kayla and August jumping to their feet.

            “We have to get out of here!” Dahlia repeated.

            “I know the way out!” Luna yelled. “Let me lead!”

            She linked her fingers through Dahlia’s and made her way towards Cedric, Kayla and August. Dahlia grabbed Troy’s hand and pulled him along. Troy seized Verne’s wrist when Dahlia pulled him along.

            Dahlia heard the trampling of leaves as the three magicians joined them. They joined hands too and the six stumbled after Luna.

            Luna dropped down to the forest floor and began crawling, using her gift to tell the future to help her find her way through the flames. They avoided all the flames, trying to breathe through their mouths and not inhale the poisonous gases.

            Sparks flew everywhere and Dahlia tried to concentrate on everything except the flames that might eat her alive. She could hardly breathe. Coughing and choking, she forced herself not to gag on the smell.

            Luna risked her body aura to give them slightly fresher air. Dahlia inhaled deeply and then closed her mouth, holding her breath as long as possible.

            She winced as sparks and ash scorched her dress and leggings. Her body aura kept her flame-free but her clothes could still be set on fire. She hung on to Luna’s ankle and crawled hard, low against the ground, following the way Luna crept.

            “Help!” Cedric yelled. “My shirt’s on fire!”

            “Dahlia, do something!” August screamed.

            “I’ll reveal our position!” Dahlia shrieked back, her throat desperately sore and scratchy from the smoke.

            “Do you want him to be burnt alive?” Kayla demanded.

            “Dahlia, use your body aura,” Troy suggested from behind her. “Like how I did!”

            Dahlia immediately felt frightened. How was she supposed to reach Cedric without letting the others get burnt or harmed? She twisted around, pausing as she felt Troy’s hand on her ankle. An idea dawned in her mind and she reached down.

            Her fingers brushed against Troy’s hand and she clasped it. Then, she pulled him up. All the others moved up too and she placed Troy’s hand on Luna’s ankle to enable them to move in a chain like before.