Chapter VII

"Ow," I whined, rubbing the side of my head with a fake pout. "That hurt."

Megan threw her head back in laughter, and then proceed to chuck another marshmallow at me.

It was Sunday afternoon, and we were over at her house attempting to make s'mores. After an uneventful Friday and Saturday, I had decided to go over to her house and 'study'.

We had done literally everything but study.

I narrowed my eyes at her, trying to seem intimidating. "Oh, it's on now."

That made her roar. "What are you going to do?" She managed to choke out in between her fits of laughter, "throw a marshmallow at me?"

I grinned sweetly at her and batted my lashes. "Oh, nothing," I said as I began to inch closer to the microwave which was currently heating up her s'more. Megan went still, eyeing me suspiciously from the other side of the island.

"Vienna, don't-"

I swung around wildly and punched the button to turn the microwave on high. Then, just to make it worthwhile, I added another thirty seconds and pivoted back around to face her. "Don't worry about it," I added, trying my best to keep an innocent face on.

She raised her eyebrows in amusement, making a sound similar to a snort as she rose from her chair and began to walk around the island. "That's all you've got? Really, Vienna, I expected more-"

Bam.

I heard the marshmallow blow up behind me, my ears ringing from the noise of the explosion. Megan's face turned into a mask of horror as she stared with big eyes, her mouth hanging wide open in shock, at the mess in her microwave. A strangled cry escaped her mouth as she slumped against the island next to her, and I saw her eyes go dark with the realization that she, not I, was going to have to clean up that mess. I let out a victorious whoop, and punching my fists into the air. "And you thought I wasn't going to do anything," I pointed out smugly. I stuck my tongue out at her as she righted herself weakly and began to walk towards the ruined appliance, a small smile appearing on her face.

"Fair enough," She said in acknowledgment, putting her hands up in front of her in defense. "I should have known better than to underestimate you."

I nodded sympathetically at her. "You really should have."

Megan laughed, shooting me a grin as she came to a stop in front of me. "Now get out of the way so I can clean this up, ruiner of microwaves."

I shrugged and went to sit down in her seat, grabbing a marshmallow and tossing it around. "Do you think-"

I was cut off by her doorbell ringing and I looked at her in curiosity. "Expecting someone?"

She frowned, shaking her head, "not that I know of."

I shrugged and popped the marshmallow into my mouth before sauntering over to the door, throwing it wide open. Rylin stood on the top step looking down at her phone and looked up at me expectantly aa my gaze met hers. "I came to," She nodded down at the school book cradled in her arm and raised her free arm to form air quotes, "study."

~

"So," I said casually, draping my arm out of the window of my car. "Braydon, huh?"

It was getting late and Rylin and I had decided to home and mull over what to get Megan for her birthday. We had left Megan behind thinking that we had out to eat with our parents.

We weren't.

I heard Rylin stir in the passenger seat and looked over to find her frowning down at her clasped hands. "What about him?"