Chapter V

After the ice cream break, the guys had decided to stick with us and go down the bigger slides as well, even though they'd done about half of them already. Megan practically wouldn't stop looking at me and then Chance and winking, or smirking at me across the table, or even now, when we were up and walking.

She wiggled her eyebrows at me, hitting my shoulder playfully with hers as we walked towards the slides. "So, Chance, huh?"

I laughed, and shook my head at her. "Chance what?"

She shrugged. "Nothing, just that I think you two would look adorable together."

"Who would look adorable together?" Chance asked, falling into step beside me.

"No one!" I squealed, embarrassed. He chuckled as I cursed myself silently for acting like that. It wasn't like we were talking about anything wrong. Suddenly, Megan grabbed a two-person inflatable raft from the pile in front of us, and I felt my stomach flip. We were in line for one of the steepest slides in the entire park. I looked up at the seemingly endless set of stairs above us and took a sharp breath in as I heard the screams from the people aboard the raft sliding down the ramp to our right. I froze, my heart pounding in my chest, and tried to breathe normally.

"You alright there, angel?" Chance asked from beside me, pulling my attention away from the slide in front of us.

"Um, yeah, totally."

"You are a very bad lair," he said, emitting a small laugh. When I didn't respond, he looked at me worriedly. "No, really. What's wrong, Vienna? You look really pale."

I shook my head, trying to disguise my terror. "Nothing is wrong," I said, and hurried after Megan up the stairs. Helping her carry the raft up the unending staircase helped get my mind off of what I was about to do, but not enough. So I started to count the steps, trying to get my mind off the ride. Surprisingly, it worked, and by the time we reached the top I was so absorbed in counting that I didn't even realize what I was about to do until it was too late.

"Alright ladies, you're up next. Make sure to remain seated at all times and hold on to the raft. There's-"

I looked over the railing at the drop and felt my head spin. My vision started going black and I grabbed into Megan's arm tightly, not caring if my nails dug into her skin. "Megan, I can't do this," I said quietly, freezing up.

"Yes, you can. You always can."

I shook my head pathetically, tears welling in my eyes. "Not this time. Megan, I can't. I really can't."

She shook her head at me, "Vienna, there's nothing else you can do. You have to."

"No, I don't. I can just go down the stairs and wait at the bottom for you. Right?" I looked over at the staff member to my left, who had a blank look on his face.

"I'm sorry to tell you this, but no, you can't. No one is allowed to go down the stairs on account of how slippery they are."

I took a shaky breath in and clenched my eyes shut. "You can do it. I know you can. Come in, let's just do it and get it over with, okay?"

I shook my head. "No. No, I can't do it. Just go without me. I'll figure it out."

She shrugged and grabbed Zac, the friend of Miles that she was eyeing earlier. It stung a little when she did that, but I was too scared to care. How could I possibly go down that thing? I wrapped my arms around myself and watched her. And then she was gone.

"Alright, who's next?"

A hand was placed on my shoulder and I jumped, my heart feeling like it was going to give out from all of the fear coursing through my body. "Hey, angel," Chance whispered softly next to me. I tried to stop the tears that were welling in my eyes and turned towards him. He looked down at me, his eyes gently gazing into mine like I was a precious and fragile valuable he did not want to break. "It's okay."