Chapter 9

That class period sped by faster then I would've wanted it to. That girl, Valerie, Zane's younger sister, had her big, bright golden eyes trained on me the whole time. I could feel it, like two bullets were being shot into the back of my skull.

I pulled myself out of my chair and yanked my History textbook along with me and walked out the door of the classroom the second I heard the bell ring. I wasn't surprised that trailing behind me, not far behind whatsoever, was Valerie. I turned in the hallway and started toward my locker. I opened it quickly and before push my book into the locker and shut it with a slam. Standing there, was Valerie, leaning on the lockers, staring intently on me.

"What is this?" I asked after a moment of silence, and her eyes narrowed at me, her gold eyes, sprinkled with flecks of amber and green, changed color as she moved. She remained silent, her eyes still narrowed at me.

I never really got a good look at this girl until now. Her face was the shape of a heart and she had a small, narrow nose that fit her face perfectly. She had long eyelashes that were obviously real that any other girl would be jealous of. Her hair was long, straight as a pin and ink black with blonde dyed tips that reached to her hips. She had a perfect figure, too. Along with the smudge of eyeliner and lipstick, she easily looked like she could be at least twenty one. But her height, made her look younger. She was short and I stood maybe seven or eight inches taller than her.

"Well, you're a vampire, alright. What I want to know is why Zane did this." Valerie finally said, breaking the silence. "He is so stupid. Seriously, biting some mortal girl like it was no problem." She mumbled to herself.

"Can you answer my question? I know I'm a vampire. I know your brother is stupid." I said to her walking down the school walkway to my next class, a free period or study hall. Valerie followed close behind me.

"I wanted to get a good look at you. See why it was Zane just decided to turn you into a vampire. Frankly, I don't understand really why he did, you're really nothing special to look at." she said to me nonchalantly and I can feel my cheeks burn up in anger.

"All you're here to do is insult me. And I'm not a mortal..anymore. I would love it if you left me alone." I said to her icily and I turn through the corridor into a classroom filled with students, the teacher not paying the slightest attention to what they were doing was reading a book at his desk. I slink into a seat in the front of the classroom and Valerie sitting in the seat next to mine. The bell signaling to be in class rang loudly.

"I'm sorry if I insulted to you. I hadn't really intended to. I just want to talk about things. My parents were pissed to find out what my brother did, so they asked me to do them a favor. So, what's your name again?" She said to me while chewing on a wad of gum that was light pink.

I sigh and answer he saying, "Camille. My name's Camille."

"Well then, Camille, my parents would like to have you over to our house for dinner tonight. They say they want to meet the girl Zane bit." Valerie said, looking as if she could care less.

I gulp. It sounds like they think I'm Zane's girlfriend or something! I mean, it wouldn't be bad to actually be his girlfriend, but I don't even know the guy, so that would never work out. Plus the fact that Skylar has him wrapped around her finger like a slinky.

"Well? Yes or no?" Valerie said to me while tapping her finger impatiently.

"Sure. I have nothing better to do tonight." I hear myself say, and I definitely did not mean to. "Hey. Don't you dae pull that mind control trick on me." She growled at Valerie, who still looked like she could care less the situation she was in.

"I wasn't doing anything, ginger, those words were from your own free will. I'll be sure to leave you alone now. I guess I'll be seeing you tonight." She said while getting up, her hair swaying back and forth and walked through the aisle of desks towards the back of the classroom. She sat back in her chair and took one glance at me before turning her head in the another direction.

______________________________________________

I sat on my bed in my bedroom, after the school day and my detention finished. It was about an hour before I was meant to go over to Zane's house. A part of me didn't want to meet anyone's parents and then a part of me did. I mean, it's not like it's my fault Zane had went rapid in the middle of the street and bit me. It isn't fair. I'm always getting dragged into crap that I don't want to be involved in. I sighed and slump back on the soft cotton covers of my bed and close my eyes.

I placed one hand over my heart and felt nothing. Looks like it's official. I'm dead. Or undead. I don't know. A walking dead person hungry for blood who can't go out in the sun without an umbrella anymore. I just want to cry, but I tell myself not to. I just can't cry now, but the tears flood my eyes and make my vision blurry and I try to blink them back but that just made them roll down my cheeks. I wiped them up with the back of my hand and stand up. Enough of this.mim going to go that house not looking like I'm about to break.

I wonder what I should even wear. Probably not something too fancy. I open my closet and peer inside and find a light blue dress with black laced trimming with flowers. It reached a few inches above my knees and it looked casual yet at the same time dressy. I pull off the clothes I wore to school and out the dress on. It looked nice but it could've looked much better on anyone but me. It would have to do for now. I push my feet into a pair of black converse, the only pair of shoes I own and look at myself in my mirror.

My reflection was still faint, barely there. Wonderful. Before I knew I'd be gone completely probably. Whatever. I walk out my bedroom, closing the door slowly behind me, not trying to make a sound. My mother was in the kitchen, making something for dinner, and it smelt like steak. Too bad I wouldn't be home tonight for it. My mother's blue eyes flickered in my direction.

"Where are you going?" She said while look at me out the corner of her eye, trained on me. "And why are you dressed like that?"

"I'm going to have dinner at...a friend's house. I can go if I want to, mother, you didn't ground me." I said to her rolling my eyes.

"I'll ground you for just giving me an attitude, Camille. I'm-" She said, but I cut her off.

"Yeah, yeah, you're the mother, I'm the daughter. I get it. I'm leaving now." I said mimicking her and then walking out the front door, closing it behind me.

Ouside the warm Florida air blew slightly through the night sky, the sun had just set, since you could see a bit of it on the horizon. I remembered that I had to walk to Zane's house, but when Valerie told me the directions this afternoon, it wasn't really too far from my house. No wonder I was his prey that night.

I walked, my sneakers making little squeaks on the sidewalk and before I knew it I was in front of the house. It was a normal looking townhouse with square windows. It looked nice enough on the outside. I walked up the front porch stone steps and ring the doorbell. No creepy ring. The door whipped open and it was Zane who opened it, but he hastily pulled it behind him and stepped outside.

He looked down at me, him being maybe five or six inches taller than me, with his golden eyes. Like his sister's they glinted and changed when he moved and they were playful yet at the same time cold. It was weird.

"Hi. I'm going to tell you something I don't think you're gonna like." He said, his eyes looked sort of sad, but pleading. He was really attractive, but not universal attractive, where every single girl he walked past fainted.

"What?" I asked suspiciously.

"Well, Skylar..broke up with me," he started and I tried to hide a smirk by placing my hand over mouth and pretending to cough. "So my parents sort of kinda think you're my girlfriend, and I have no idea where the could've gotten that assumption." He said, a tinge of arrogance, as if I wasn't good or attractive enough to actually be his girlfriend.

But I was still shocked, my mouth hung open. I chocked out, "What?! Why?" Ignoring his other comment.

"They've never met Skylar, so I'm guessing they assumed it was you. When I told them what I'd done, with the biting, and whatnot, they just thought 'Oh hey, this was an act of love!' So they wanted you over here." He sounded sort of interested, but he still looked at me pleadingly. "I'm gonna tell them, okay? Just don't freak out if they treat you weird."

"Oh...okay." I said to him while he opened the door to let me into the house.