Viata de Vampir Chapter 7

"Thirsty"

"Well, that was quick." Allison said as I joined her in the car. She smiled at me restlessly.

"Just needed to get some information on the 'pire den we're looking for." I explained while retrieving the folded paper Camile had provided. Allison and I glanced over the sketch and learned that the den was located only ten or so miles north of the bar. I figured now would as good a time as any to prepare Allison for what was to likely come.

From beneath my seat I grabbed a rectangular silver case, which I opened on my lap. Three identical wooden stakes about eighteen inches in length were inside. While making them, I had reinforced the wood with thin metal spikes, driven up through the base. I took one and handed it to Allison. She looked the weapon over for a brief moment before asking.

"What's this for?"

"Protection. I'm not exactly sure how large this den of 'pires has grown, and you may have to defend yourself." I explained.

"So, it's through the heart... right?" She asked. I took her free hand in mine and placed hers on the lower portion of my chest, slightly below my sternum. I heard Allison inhale quickly at my touch.

"Up under the ribcage with as much force as you can muster, and yes... to kill them you will have to penetrate their heart." I shared, demonstrating where to aim and at what angle to strike. I released her hand, but found that her palm continued to rest upon my chest... as well as her eyes.

"Allison?" I whispered. Her gaze snapped up to meet mine.

"Sorry." She replied quickly, her full attention returning to the stake in her hand. "I was raised around a lot of 'touchy feely' family members, and..."

"It's okay."

"So, are these stakes enchanted or something?" She asked. I was taken back somewhat by her question. What did she think this was, a game of Dungeons and Dragons?

"No." I told her. "They're just stakes."

"Really? Aren't they supposed to be blessed by some holy-man or presoaked in anointing water?" She added in query. I slightly shook my head as I answered.

"In the real world of the undead... a stake is just a stake. I made these three a few months ago out of timber I gathered from my house in Tennessee, but when face to face with the enemy... anything long and sharp will do the trick. Just make sure you hit the heart."

"Why the heart?" She asked. I sensed she longed for a sympathetic phrase, an explanation that could possibly mask some of the horrors of vampirism. She needed a comfort that I wasn't sure I could offer. What was I to say? Confused, I just said the first thing that came to mind.

"Decapitating a 'pire works just as well..." No sooner than the words had left my mouth a grimace washed over her face, and I sighed with regret. I'm not good at all this comforting... stuff, and I felt that this was vital information for her to know. These pieces of truth could very well save her in the quite near future, I thought. Yet, as her expression continued to sadden, I offered this continuation. "...but I heard once that piercing the heart of a 'pire is said to strike them in the one remaining element that ties them to humanity... their heart." I lied.

A sigh, spawning from a breath held longer than it should have been, left her mouth and she smiled. While tumbling the stake about in her hands, she uttered softly.

"At least I have a piece of Tennessee to keep me safe... a piece of home."

"That you do... I suppose." I added to her moment of thoughtfulness. I turned the key over in the ignition and the Nova roared to life. "That you do."