Viata de Vampir Chapter 1

"The Awakening"

The black void remained, I still felt weak and drained, but the sense of falling had faded. I was laying on something solid... or rather in something solid. The air about the shallow, confined chamber I was in felt cold, almost damp. What was I lying in?

I moved my right hand slightly and it hit a wall, a wooden board. I explored and to the left was the same. I felt a sliver of wood slide in to my southpaw. There was no pain, none that I could register, but the sensation brought back the sickly memories of splinters past. A coffin, I'm in a coffin, I realized.

I opened the lid to reveal a small room that was slightly less dark, due to the moonlight about the area. There were small three foot by three foot cement doors about the room. Each was carved with some sort of design, whether it be flowers, symbols of the cross, or a family crest. Also, a name plate toward the center. A mausoleum. What the hell am I doing in a mausoleum?

"Home." I whispered. Without another thought, I burst from the small building and was sprinting toward my home. The wind swept pass me fiercly. A hard rain fell. I couldn't tell how long I had been inside that coffin, or how I had got in there in the first place. However, as I ran, I felt my face and noticed some stubble upon my chin. A few days at least...

I drew nearer my home with each panicked second that ticked by. What the hell is going on? I thought. I yearned for the consolidation of my estate, the safety I felt behind my closed doors. But I was not met by this comfort as the structure came into view. Instead, there was smoke, flaming embers, and ash.

"No... NO!!!!!" I screamed, instantly dropping to my knees in horror. However, I was left with too little time to grieve. For I was also met by the arsons responsible for the blaze. Townspeople, at least thirty, began screaming in my direction. I quickly rose to my feet.

"Demon!" They shouted torches and weapons in hand.

"What the hell is wrong with you all, you..." I began, but knew they were not listening. They started to approach me at a quicker pace, whilst still screaming profanities.

"Monster!" They yelled. "Devil!"

I had to get out of there. Instinct took over, and once again I ran. I'm not sure in what direction I began, but after a minute or so I noticed I was running toward the moon... the dull half moon that was just above the horizon. Soon, all around me was a blur, a motley arrangement of the colors of the night... save that moon.

I heard something to my right and stopped. I was lucky I did so, for another eight feet and I would have ran straight into a lake... Wait, lake? The nearest lake to my home was over seventy miles away. I had only been running for what seemed fifteen, possibly twenty minutes. That was impossible...

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WHEN YOU ARE WHAT WE ARE. A voice echoed inside my mind. I froze.

"Who's there?" I asked aloud. No sooner than the question left my parched lips, a young man stood before me. He was tall and a bit on the thin side. His hair was a dark, dark brown and his eyes were that same earthy tone. He wore an arrogant smirk upon his face.

"Ahhh... A young one I see."

"Young one? I'm at least ten years your senior." I pointed out. He looked no older than eighteen or nineteen. He laughed softly, walking closer to the waters edge. I glanced at the moonlight as it reflected off the still waters, reflecting all around him, but him...

"I highly doubt that. Why do you not speak silently with me, 'pire."

"Speak silently? 'Pire?"

WITH YOUR THOUGHTS. I heard without the aid of my ears. It was as if he could implant the words inside my head. It was odd...

"How the hell are you doing that?" I asked. The playful grin upon his face quickly faded into one of confusion and bewilderment. He cocked his head toward the side and narrowed his gaze.

"You... are... unaware of what you are? You are." He seemed to ask and answer himself. "Who's your creator?" He questioned.

"My creator?"

"Yes, your creator. The vampire responsible for turning you." His word took a moment to register.

"I'm a vampire." I said, mostly to myself. The speed, the power, the... townspeople's cries... "I'm a..." Before I could finish the boy was atop me, and the memories of a few nights ago flooded my reality. The older man, the alley, the bite...

"This is a surprising turn of events, and to think I was prepared for a most uneventful evening. A young 'pire without a clan. It's almost too good to be true. It's rare that a vampire finds a meal of this caliber so easily."

"Meal..." The boy didn't hesitate. His hands were at my throat a second later, and his mouth inched closer to my neck. I growled an unnatural noise and felt the extension of my canine teeth. I didn't know what was truly happening then, but knew that if I didn't react, didn't fight back, that I wouldn't survive the rest of the night.

My feet drew up to meet his chest and without much effort I hurled him from atop me. His body flew through the air and slammed hard against an old, large oak tree. I could hear the tree crack and splinter from the ferocious impact. The power. I thought once more.

"Slightly impressive." He commented, landing on his feet at the base of the tree. "I don't know who your creator was, but they were tremendously powerful."

"What do you mean?" I asked as I eyed him, watching his circling movement.

"As a young one, the only way you could contain such power is by being turned by some great 'pire... an elder perhaps. It is no matter, just more of a challenge for me." He said as he leapt at me once more. I, without trying to think, moved with great speed and agility out of his range. My throat began to sting, my stomach yearning. I was thirsty... so thirsty.

The hunger distracted me a split second, but it was long enough for the boy to attack just quicker than I could react. Again he was atop me, but only briefly. I screamed in anger as I lifted him and threw him to the damp ground. His confidence and rage quickly turned to fear, I noticed. My mouth wide and without hesitation I sank my teeth in to his jugular. A howl and whimper passed his lips as bits and pieces of his flesh passed mine.

And then I drank... and drank. The liquid was fowl tasting, metallic in flavor, but gave a quenching I dare not try to explain. It was delicious, and the more I drained from him, the stronger I felt and more enraged I became. I thought of the old man, the mausoleum, my house... And as I threw his shriveled, dried remains aside -in to the lake- a realization hit me.

No matter how long it took me, I would find the vampire that had robbed me of my life... and end his existence. An eye for an eye? Not quite. He had stolen more from me than possibly imaginable... Every 'pire -as the boy called them- that crossed my path would suffer just as this one had. I would have my revenge.