Viata de Vampir Chapter 4

"Undead"

Retrieving a scotch glass from the cabinet, I opened the pantry door.

Despite what you may have heard about vampires, we can eat and drink 'human' foods. The only problem with that is after the change most human foods -unless it's a bloody rare steak- are not the most appetizing. To put it bluntly, it tastes like shit unless you add some crimson flavoring, if you get my drift.

I proceeded to fill my scotch glass with a half Jack Daniel's half blood mixture. In light of the matter, I suppose you could call it my own version of a Bloody Mary... or Steve... or whatever the donors name happened to be.

I swallowed half of the concoction in a single gulp, allowing the sweet burning sensation to ease my troubled thoughts. I left the kitchen and made my way in to the living room, where I proceeded to check once again on the young woman I had turned. As I gazed upon her still and content form, memories of Elizabeth's perfect smile and intoxicating laughter echoed about my mind again and I sighed. I shook my head violently in an attempt to clear the invading images.

"Forgive in time for what I have done." I whispered. She lay unconscious still, but showed reassuring signs that she was still alive -depending on your definition of alive- and slowly recovering. "Know that I did what I did in an attempt to save you from death, even if the reasons were selfish on my part."

In that moment I questioned what I would say to her once she woke. What could I say? Sorry you almost died, but here's an eternity of morbid turmoil and a damned soul to make up for it? However, as quick as the sarcastic remark had entered my thoughts, I pushed it aside. I needed to plan my next move, since locating the elder 'pire in Indiana had turned out to be a bust. From the trunk of my car, I retrieved several packs and a briefcase then headed to my small office.

The office wasn't much; a small wooden desk with a matching chair, a lamp, an end table placed in the far right corner of the room, and an old chaise longue that reminded me of the couches used by psychiatrists during therapy. The couch was very useful when I needed to clear my head and think.

I sat down at the desk and turned on the lamp. After opening the briefcase, I shuffled through its content -newspaper clippings, articles, and photos of the elder 'pire or what I believed to be evidence of his presence- until I came across a worn map of the United States.

For the past forty years I have used maps such as this one to track my progress across the country, beginning with a fresh map every year on the anniversary of my change. Upon these maps I would place a black X over the city where my attempts in finding the elder 'pire had failed. Being roughly six months old, the map I held contained these black X's over Dallas, Los Angles, Las Vegas, Chicago, a town in Montana called Great Falls, and several other small cities in between. Now -as I replaced the cap to the black marker in my hand- a black X rested over Indianapolis. I sighed in disbelief. All these locations within six months time and still the elder 'pire was at large.

Setting the map aside, I plugged my cell phone in to the portable set of speakers I kept a top the desk and retrieved a playlist. "Undead" by Hollywood Undead began to resonate about the small room as I retrieved some recent news articles from my briefcase.

Over the course of a month -January to be exact- nine people had been found dead on a stretch of I-5, an interstate that connected Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington. All nine victims had been mutilated by what officials in the area claimed to be 'some sort of wildcat or wolf'. Each body suffered from blood loss on a massive scale, yet the excess blood was not found around the bodies.

I glanced over some forums I had pulled off the Internet, but found little useful information concerning the killings. Conspiracy theorists were rattling off claims that they believed the culprit was something to the equivalent of an American Northwestern Chupacabra.

"Computer nerds." I whispered. If they only knew what was actually lurking in the shadows and back alleys of the world around them, in their cities and neighborhoods. I decided then that Washington would be my next location objective, with another small hunch to check along the way. The only problem that could arise would be...

"Alkaline Trio... really?" A soft voice questioned softly from the doorway, strained slightly from exhaustion. I wasn't surprised in the slightest by her sudden presence, having heard her stir from the living room sofa and stumble in my direction. I didn't even bother looking up from the papers strewn about my desktop when I questioned.

"I beg your pardon?" The query escaped my lips in a tone far more harsh than I had intended, yet she seemed to take no offence.

"You somehow save me from a couple of vicious, backwater cannibal types and all you can find to play across your Ipod or whatever is "This Could Be Love"?" At her remark my attention was instantly drawn to the music I had playing, yet was keeping in the background as I read. The lyrics of the band registered through the desk speakers and in to my ears.

"Step one, slit my throat. Step two, play in my blood..."

"My apologies..." I offered as I silenced my phone. I allowed length to my words as to ask for a name.

""Allison... Allison Chains." She answered. I couldn't hold back the smirk that crawled across my face.

"With a name such as that, Ms. Chains, I would assume that my choice in music would have been entirely appropriate."

"One would assume, I suppose..." She whispered. I could tell she was scared, shaken to her very core, and slightly embarrassed.

"My name is Edgar... Edgar Williams. In case you were wondering, and getting back to the subject at hand, those were not cannibals I dealt with back on the highway." I offered. I witnessed the confusion slowly creep across her expression and I couldn't help but feel a bit saddened.

"Oh...' She managed to breathe a moment later. Allison crossed her arms about her chest and shifted her weight slightly. No doubt feelings of violation and vulnerability blanketed her thoughts. "Then who or what were they?" She asked. I rose, moving past her and entered the living room once again. She followed my movements willingly, but with a hint of hesitation.

"First thing's first." I began as I pointed to the staircase just in front of where I stood. "The first door to your right as you reach the top of the stairs is a bedroom with an adjoined bath. You look like you could use a nice hot shower. Clothes are in the dresser and closet if you wish, although the sizes and styles might not be to your liking. Once you're finished, if you'd like to join me in the kitchen we'll have some tea or something and I'll try and explain everything then."

"Thank you." She whispered, apparently shocked at my thoughtfulness among other things. I have to admit I too was surprised at the open kindness I showed her, but as I looked in to ther eyes as she ventured toward the staircase I remembered that her likeness to Elizabeth was the reasoning. Only at my mentioning a shower and change of clothes did she look down and realize just what state her appearance was in. Her long sand colored hair was matted together with dried blood and gravel dust, as the same was streaked down her neck, arms, and torso. Her clothes were tattered due to the struggle I assume she put up in the hands of the two 'pires. Although her cheeks would no longer blush, I had a feeling she was embarrassed by her appearance as she tugged softly at what remained of her clothing.

"I'm sorry for what has happened to you. If there's anything you need or I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask." I offered, not quite sure what to say in that moment. I scratched at the back of my head nervously as she -for the first time since formally meeting her- smiled faintly.

"I will." Allison said just before ascending the staircase.