"I fear this has something to do with the old man. Actually, no, I know it does. That was why we sent the letter after all. It appears that during this particular... beating, the boy was hit so hard that a core-suppressor was broken. It caused an influx of magic, which set off our radars. When I looked into it, it said that a spell cast by a certain Dumbledore had been broken at the address of his relatives. He had about 60% of the boy's magical core blocked, Poppy," he said solemnly. She gasped.

"Th-that's highly illegal! And immeasurably cruel! What other suppressors and blocks did he put on the poor boy?" The goblin grimaced.

"That is what the letter was for. Surely you've noticed his small frame. That's not just malnourishment – though I'll bet that plays a part of it – the low shoulders, frail legs, and noticeably smaller ears are a trademark sign of a growth block. And lord only knows what else. If the boy has any creature inheritances, they will probably have been suppressed as well." Poppy gasped.

"That would explain the magic fluctuations, and the anger spikes! You see, last year, the boy found that his magic was constantly waxing and waning, one minute he would be oozing with it and the next he couldn't levitate a feather. Lord knows what's been done to him," she said sombrely, her heart aching with sympathy for the boy lying in front of her. She magicked away her supplies.

"Let the boy sleep. We can investigate further when he is rested."

Harry raised his head, and though he felt groggy he felt rejuvenated. The constant aches throughout his body he'd learned to tune out were completely gone, he noted with relief. He felt along his ribs – all intact! Not one at an angle. Just as he went to feel the jagged lump of bone at the base of his skull – which was no longer there – madam Pomfrey strode into view looking thoroughly relieved to see him awake.

"ah, Mr Potter. How are you feeling?" A grin graced his lips for a moment.

"On top of the bloody world. Even the lump on my head's gone!" He stated, noting pomfrey's scowl.

"You are aware, Mr Potter, that that was an unhealed skull fracture and you could have died from it?"

"What?! Blimey... when did I get that one?" he furrowed his brow in thought. A flicker of recognition crossed his face. "Ah, right. Cricket bat." He shuddered involuntarily.

"CRICKET BAT?!" The nurse screeched, feeling faint at the thought of someone swinging a sports bat at Harry's head. He flinched – it was very slight, but she was trained to spot these things – and she realised that of course, the boy had received verbal abuse too. She made a mental note not to raise her voice too much.

"Well, while I would love to go through your horrendous list of injuries, you have rather important business to see to, Mr. Potter. I'm here to officially escort you to Meqik's office, as your discussion will be one of utmost secrecy." The boy fidgeted.

"Ah, right then. By all means, lead the way."

And so, the two made their way up to the goblin's office.

The room was surprisingly plain compared to the rest of gringotts – sure, everything was gilded and glittering jewels lined the desk, but there was an absence of expensive-looking trinkets. A few newspaper clippings were framed and on the wall. The effect was to focus the attention more on the goblin behind the desk, and it worked almost too well. Meqik gestured for harry to sit down. Poppy stood by the door.

"Just, before I go- Mr. Potter, how long has this... mistreatment been going on?" She asked carefully. Harry snorted.

"How long have I been alive?" Was his reply. Her face became grim.

"I see. Well, I hope you feel better, and remember that if you ever need help in the future my job is to remain neutral. I'm always there if you need me, mr potter," she smiled kindly and shut the door behind her. Harry turned back to Meqik.

"so, Mr Potter-" Harry cut him off.

"Please, Mr Meqik, sir, call me Harry."

"If you insist, then please call me Meqik. No sir or mr." Harry nodded gratefully.

"Now, Harry, down to business. The letter yesterday was sent to your address because there was a large burst of magical activity on our detectors. Upon further inspection, it seems that you had a block on your magical core, which was broken when you were under attack. The block, Harry, was placed by Albus Dumbledore." Harry sighed.

"I hoped it wouldn't be, but I've been weary of Dumbledore for a year now, at least. I knew there was something being hidden from me. I just hoped..." He trailed off. "Sorry, rambling. Please continue."

"Yes, well. We wanted to call you because it is likely that you're under other kinds of blocks as well. Your stature shows telltale signs of a growth-stunting block-"

"That's a thing?!" Harry exclaimed, horrified. Meqik nodded stiffly.

"And the other thing is that the Potter line is... infamous, for carrying creature blood. It is highly unlikely that you have none running through your veins, and you may have inheritances blocked. Madam Pomfrey mentioned to me something about magic fluctuations?"

"You think that was an inheritance?"

"Oh, I am sure of it. Do you notice any odd occurrences that don't seem to happen to your peers?" the goblin watched as Harry flushed red.

"Oh my god, I'm so stupid! Of course that was some kind of animal thing!" He turned to focus once more. "I grow feathers." Whatever Meqik was expecting, that wasn't it. He spluttered.

"Feathers?" Harry nodded eagerly.

"Yeah, little blue and red feathers and I wake up with them. Got a right lashing when my uncle saw one hanging off my arm once," he explained casually. The goblin's brain was running a mile a minute. The muggle's reaction indicated that he knew something of what was happening, surely, which meant that – he was probably told by the old man – the goblin's blood ran cold as he was hit with a realisation. Dumbledore hadn't just left Harry ignorantly in an abusive home – he made sure Harry was abused. He vowed to get every bit of vengeance he could for the boy.

"Yes, that is certainly a creature inheritance. To find out all of the blocks paced on you, and the inheritances you should have, I need you to place a drop of blood on this parchment, please," he handed over a small dagger and a sheet of parchment. Harry cut the tip of his little finger and let a single drop of crimson fall onto the yellowed page. The blood began to spread across the page, forming words and lines. Harry read it aloud.