Chapter 11

A week later, we got out first pay. I stashed our money in the little compartment hanging around Bacon's neck. Nobody but Stephen and I would be able to get it there. Bacon only trusted us now, so he would run away if anyone else got close to him. Especially if they were chasing him.

I sighed, laying back in the tall grass and looking up at the stars. We were packing up tomorrow and leaving, continuing to head West, towards California. At least now, we had a bit of money and a ride. I tucked my arm under my head and studied the sky, remembering the stories that Stephen had told me about them. I could actually recognize some of them now. I guess Stephen was a good teacher. I grinned as I remembered what foolish thing he did today.

"Hey, Danny! Look at me," he had called, walking dangerously close to the edge of the wall that stood by the poop that we had scooped out. I had looked up from the book that Big Bill had lent me and just stared at him.

"You're an idiot! You're going to fall and smell so bad. And I'm going to laugh when you do!" I replied, continuing to watch him and he spun around on the wall. He was pretty graceful. I felt my heart quicken as I watched him strut across the wall. Then, when he was turning, he lost his balance. His arms wheeled in the air, but that didn't help him. He landed face first in the pile of manure. I fell to the ground, I was laughing so hard. He stood up, sputtering and spitting out poop. I continued to laugh as he walked towards me.

"Ha ha! I told you you would fall in!" I laughed, holding my stomach, tears falling down my cheeks.

"You think that's funny?" he asked calmly. When I nodded, a dangerous look appeared in his gaze and he ran at me. I squealed and ran away. He chased after me in the grassy area. Our antics caused a group of the circus people to come watch and cheer us on. "I'm going to get you!" Stephen yelled, not in anger though. I continued giggling and evading his grip until I ran past him and caught me, pulling me close to him. He ran his manure-covered hands down my face. The crowd cheered.

"Gross!" I said, still laughing. He picked me up and spun me around until we were both covered in it and smelled unbearable. Big Bill, who was watching, told us to go wash off before getting something to eat because we would take away everyone's appetite. We said we would and had gone to wash off in the river that was nearby. Somebody handed us a bar of soap as they held their nose.

We raced to the river, chasing each other and screaming. Stephen reached the river first and jumped in, disappearing beneath the surface. The river was surrounded by trees and a dense covering of bushes. I glanced around and saw nobody else. I turned back to the river, waiting for Stephen to pop back up and spray me or something. But he didn't appear. I started to get worried.

"Stephen!" I yelled. "Come on! That's not funny!"

There was no answer. I started to really worry, so I threw my shoes and socks off, pulled off my jacket and hat, prepared to go find him. I stepped to the edge and looked down. This must be the deepest part of the river. I peered down when, suddenly, arms shot up from under the water, grabbed onto my shirt and dragged my in. I started to scream, but then got a mouthful of water. I swam back up to the surface, breathing deeply. Stephen's head broke the surface, water flying from his head as he shook it. He was laughing, more like chortling.

"Got ya'!" he sang.

I started slapping him, "What's wrong with you! You scared me half to death! I thought you had drowned. I was prepared to jump in after you!"

"Aw, really?" he cooed, ruffling my long, wet hair. "You care for my that much?"

"Not anymore," I grumbled, turning my back to him. I felt his arms go around my waist and I shivered. He pressed up close to me and breathed in my ear. I elbowed him and swam farther down the river, bringing the soap with me. I could feel his stare on me as I bathed. Once, I turned around to look at him and his face heated up and he spun around and continued to wash the manure off of his clothes. After I was finished with the soap, I swam back over to him and held out the soap mutely. He looked me up and down and headed closer to me until he was standing right over me and I was staring at his chest. I glanced up nervously and he smiled. He took the bar of soap, then ran one of his hands down my cheek.