Chapter 6

When I woke up, I was unnaturally warm. I yawned and stretched. That's when I noticed that I was being held. I looked down and saw an arm flung over my waist, holding me to the owner of that arm. My eyes widened and I looked farther and saw my legs tangeled with somebody else's. I reached up, shoving my cap back on, then turned around. I came face to face with Stephen, who was sleeping. He looked handsome when he slept, younger even, less sarcastic. I tried to back up, but Stephen was strong, even when he was asleep. In fact, when I tried to pull away, he pulled me back, bringing me against his body. My chest was pressed against his, making me blush.

"Stephen," I whispered, trying not to startle him. He didn't even budge. I shoved against his chest and said his name louder. Stephen's eyes opened, taking in how close my face was to his. He looked down, seeing that he was holding me. He yelped, letting me go and backing up.

"What the hell!" he yelled, still scrambling backwards. "I'm so sorry, Danny! I swear I'm not gay! I don't even know how that happened!"

"Stephen, it's okay! Get a grip!" I yelled over his yelling. "Geez! I don't think you're gay! You were probably just cold! So, shut up!"

Stephen snapped his mouth shut and just looked at me like he'd seen an alien.

"I thought we were leaving early, so get ready. I'm going to check on Bacon. While I'm down there, check into reality," I said, heading over to the ladder and climbing down it. I heard Stephen muttering from above that he wasn't gay. I sighed and walked away, towards where Bacon was. Before I got there, somebody stepped in front of me. It was Mark's uncle.

"Not leaving so soon, are we?" he leered over me. This guy definetely made me feel uncomfortable.

"Yes, we are," I said, trying to step around him. He grabbed my arm, pulling me near to him. I yelped in pain. "Stay for breakfast."

Suddenly, I was yanked away. Actually, Mark's uncle and I were yanked apart from each other. Mark was holding his uncle back and Stephen was holding me. His chin was resting on my head as he glared at Mark's uncle.

"Stay away from Danny," Mark told his uncle. He let him go, and watched him carefully as he walked out the other side. He turned back to us, "Sorry about that. He's still drunk. But, won't you stay for breakfast? You can leave right after that, I promise."

"You promise?" I asked.

"Yes, I promise," he smiled, walking over.

"Is that all right with you, Stephen?" I asked, tilting my head up so I could see him. I saw Stephen nod his head in affirmation as he hands tightened on my arms.

"Well, it's settled then. Come on, breakfast is almost ready. We all get up early here," Mark said, leading us back to the house.

Stephen and I walked behind him. Stephen was very close to me as he bent down and whispered in my ear, "Right after breakfast, we leave this creepy place, right?"

"Right," I sighed in relief. I wanted to get out of this place with the creepy uncle.

The kitchen was warm and busy when we walked in. The two oldest girls and the mother were finishing up breakfast as the younger two were setting the table and putting the ready food on it. Mark motioned for us to sit in the same seats as last night. Breakfast was finished in now time and there was food heaped in front of us. My eyes widened at the enormous spread. When Mark's mother sat down I turned to her and said, "Thank you so much for your generosity."

"Oh, it's no problem. I like to help people," she smiled, cutting up a pancake. "How long will you guys be staying?"

"We're leaving right after breakfast, ma'am. We don't want to intrude any more on you and your wonderful family," I explained, ignoring the strange look that Stephen was giving me. I guess my answer wasn't exactly boyish.