Chapter 8

Chapter 8

After the meeting, Damien decided to look for Ali and tell her just what was going on. He needed to explain to her why she was always going to have himself, or one of his most trusted soldiers with her at all times.

But Damien didn’t find Ali in her room like he thought. Confused, he had to follow her scent and found his mate in the library.

Her legs were curled underneath her while she sat in his most favorite chair. He smiled, either she recognized his scent on the chair or they just had similar tastes in furniture.

He came up behind her and looked down at her over the back of the chair. He saw that she was reading a book; one of those romance novels that his mother enjoyed as well.

He shook his head; he never understood why women with men in their lives still read those books. He thought they were for single women who needed the fantasies the books created to get away from their lonely lives.

“Are you just going to stand there watching me like a creeper, or are you actually going to say something to me?” Ali asked.

Damien looked at her and saw that she was looking up at him with a small smile on her face.

He came around the chair and squatted in front of her. She bookmarked her page and leaned forward to where their faces were only inches apart.

Damien observed his beautiful mate. Her heart-shaped face, lush lips, almond-shaped brown eyes; her hair was long and wavy, a dark brown that had streaks of red when the sun hit it just right. She was everything he ever wanted.

Damien couldn’t help but to reach out and stroke her cheek, she leaned into him and looked at him questioningly.

“Is something wrong, Damien?” she asked.

Damien sighed and stood up, “Yes, very wrong.”

Damien then explained the situation of the vampires from the beginning. He told her that at first, a long time ago, that the wolves and vampires got along; though it was a strained relationship.

Many believed that vampires were demons and that was why holy water, crosses and bibles affected them. And since werewolves were of nature, it was thought that werewolves were created to eliminate the vampires. The evidence of that was that a wolf’s claws could tear apart a vampire’s hard skin, their venom didn’t affect the wolves and they were just as fast and strong as a vampire.

The werewolves got a big head, they believed they were literally a gift from God sent down to eliminate all vampires and send them back to Hell. So the wolves started hunting and killing vampires; men, women and children.

The vampires would not tolerate the slaughter of their brothers so they banded together and fought back. It was the beginning of the first vampire-werewolf war.

But eventually after much bloodshed and loss, both sides had had enough of war and decided to make a treaty. They divided the land and said that once each species keeps to their designated land, peace would ensue.

“So is that this war is starting? The vampires started hunting on your lands?” Ali interrupted to ask.

Damien nodded somberly, “Yes that is exactly what they are doing. But you see there have been many incidents like this over the past centuries, but they were always resolved quickly by the Almighty Alpha and their Vampire King.”

“So what’s different this time?” Ali asked, confused as to why such a large war was about to ensue.

“Because it is the Vampire King that is initiating all of this; he feels that vampires are the superior race and want to eliminate the werewolves so that he can enslave the humans.”