Chapter 3

Chapter 3

“Tell me you’re not going out in that–” mom disapprovingly explored my tight chest-accentuating top and my favorite pair of short shorts, “piece of material.”

My words were coated with sickeningly sweet sugar, “Aren’t you too busy worshipping your timely boy toys to worry about what I’m wearing?” Mom’s body whirls around to face me; a deathly glare has replaced her typical cloudy eyes.

“What did you say?” It comes out as a cadaverous whisper.

“I said; I’m not changing.”

“We can argue about this for the rest of the day. You’re changing, or you’re not going to school.”

Calling a bluff, I plopped my body onto the couch, “No school? Perfect, I didn’t want to go anyway.” I whisked a glance at the rose gold watch that sat on my dainty wrist – 8:52. Shit, shit, shit! The test was in 8 minutes and I hadn’t even left the house. I devised a strategic escape route; it takes four minutes to walk to school, three if I ran, leaving me with five minutes to retreat.

“Whatever suits you.”

“I’m going to the mall with Kenzie,” I declared. This was my opportunity to get out of there. I take long strides to the back door, praying that mom wouldn’t keep me home. When the plump hand gripped at my wrist to disallow my hasty exit, it wasn’t my moms. My eyes dart from the so-close-yet-so-far-away rusty door knob, to the beast that stood before me. My nose wrinkled in disgust; his large round face, humongous nose, and salt and pepper hair reflected his unattractive demeanor. I continued my rant, “Wow! She has really demolished whatever she had left of her standards this time.” I wriggled my arms free from the hcubby hand and pushed past the man. I was not going to be late for school.

“Miss Reid–” a familiar, deep tone spoke in clear disappointment towards my poor attempt of taking a seat unnoticed, “so glad that you were able to join us.”

I glance up apologetically at the teacher, with the word ‘guilty’ plastered in bold letters over my forehead, “Sorry Mr Morgan, I was studying at the library.” I felt his narrowing eyes follow me to my desk until I slumped low into the seat. 

Amidst the uproar of teenage chatter, I identified the familiar masculine tone instantly. The insult echoed in the auditorium, and my angered eyes instantly dashed to the infamous Austin Taylor and his arrogant friends. The teachers warning drew my attention back to the front of the room, “Don’t be late again.” Mr Morgan hushed the class quiet with a stubby finger to his lips. The test droned on without another muffled whisper.

The teacher ushered in my direction before I was able to slip out of the class, “Miss Reid.” I rolled my eyes in agitation at my second unsuccessful attempt of escaping his apprehensive glares.

“Yes, sir?” I feigned innocence and forced a tight smile as I watched my classmates dissolve in large groups out the door.

“I expect you are familiar with the high standards I anticipate for these exams,” he stated sternly. I manage a nod in response before my feet rapidly carried me from the classroom. God knows what I would have committed if I had spent another minute with that scumbag.

Mackenzie and I linked arms on the unusually chilly day, as we strolled towards Tom’s. Tom’s was a local café turned restaurant that stood a street from Washington Heights. Anything from scrumptious tacos to divine macaroons was served as Tom’s, and the best part? There was no menu, thus, everyday was a surprise.