Prologue

Prologue

I love you.

The three simple words were so short, yet meant so much – a perfect combination of fire and passion. It was the statement that all girls longed to hear, and the words that drained the colour out of any pubescent boys face. It was the underlying commitment that teenagers threw around constantly, as if it was absolutely nothing. Everybody seemed to be ‘in love’ at Washington Heights. On the first day of junior year, the lockers had come to reside couples exchanging saliva in between classes, and the bathroom talk consisted of the cliché giggly chatter of the greatest sex positions. That exact day, I made a vow to myself. Never will I fall in love.

I felt his hot breath erect the fine hair on my neck when he whispered those three words, on that particular December night. The had world stopped spinning, and I had held my breath, waiting. Waiting for Austin to laugh wholeheartedly and tell me that he was kidding. The laugh never came, nor did a reassuring sentence. The phone calls stopped a few days later. It was followed by a subdued break up. I saw Austin less and less during the next few weeks, and talking ceased altogether later that month. I watched carefully from the sidelines as he evolved into another human being during the following months.

Austin became one of the many guys that he had previously made fun of. His kind, respectful, compassionate and loyal attitude was replaced with the personality of an egotistic scumbag. Austin would often be seen strutting the halls of the school running fingers through his hair, the shade of a moonless night that very well concealed the luscious locks of blond. Girls followed him like lost puppies, vying for his attention. Boys that couldn’t be him, worshipped him. Even my father desired to watch the infamous quarterback of Washington Heights score a goal. The one thing that didn’t change about Austin was his eyes. The deep, twinkling pair of aquamarine orbs could pierce through your heart, and there was nothing you could do about it.

** This is my first story on Wattpad, ever. It's really the support from readers that fuels the writer, so I really hope this story gets positive feedback in order to keep it going. 

Let me know what you think. Thanks for reading!