Chapter 1

Chapter 1

“London Harper Reid.”

My conscience is dazed as my feet carried me along the hard marble floors of Washington Heights. Students scowled in infuriation as I pushed past, inattentively occupying the centre of the hall. My flats screeched to a halt when the slender, perfectly manicured fingers waved ferociously in front of my incognizant eyes. My eyes flow up to meet a pair of cinnamon coloured orbs that clouded with agitation. “Gosh London, are you even listening to me?” Mackenzie’s pink, pouty lips, questioned.

“Sorry– I’m just a little tired,” I smiled apologetically at my best friend. Mackenzie narrowed her eyes into slits, affirming how bad a liar I actually was. I mentally sighed in relief when Mackenzie continued in her overwhelming high-pitched chatter, gushing continually about how lucky she was to have scored a date with Christian Clark to the party this weekend. I mentally groaned when she brings up the party that she had so effortlessly convinced me to attend. I couldn't believe I let the girl talk me into it. But then again, Mackenzie could talk anyone into anything. I nodded occasionally to the blabber of rapidly spoken words and smiled when under her apprehensive stare. When Mackenzie’s girly giggles ceased, I instantly know who had acquired her undivided attention, the no other than – Christian Clark.

“Hey baby,” Christian greeted Mackenzie with a rather empowering peck on the cheek. My face scrunched in utter disgust as I noticed Christian’s large hands roam her backside. Pervert. When he finally acknowledges my presence, he simply nodded and returned to planting kisses along the length of Mackenzie’s neck. In the distance, I heard Christian's fellow colleagues holler in his direction, making a complete mockery of themselves. Amongst the varied tones of the men, I instaneously identify the familiar, husky murmur. Roots adhered my feet to my ground as the said words arrested every muscle in my body. London Reid was not third wheeling – I have friends. I resisted the urge to cut his balls off  as I continued walking. 

My feet dominated my unwilling body, fleeing rapidly from the building. My mind continued to insult his sky high ego. Keep calm. Keep calm. Keep calm. I recited this mantra serveral times, in an attempt to tame the corrupt anger. My tensed body relaxed when the cool air hit my skin, I sighed contendedly. I, London Reid, refuse to let Austin Taylor, ever get under my skin again.