Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“I feel uncomfortable,” I complained for the hundredth time, pulling the dress further down my exposed thighs. Mackenzie had managed to persuade me into wearing a figure hugging velvet dress with an open back and a plunging neckline. My ass was more prominent than a murder case on the front page of the New York Times.

“Oh quit complaining! You will thank me when you wake up with a smokin’ hot hunk in your bed tomorrow morning.”

Mackenzie squeezed her petite body with ease through the crowd of drunken teenagers. On the other hand, I was groped, ass-slapped and grinded on before I caught up with my friend. Bastards. My five-inch heels screeched to a grinding halt when Mackenzie froze motionless ahead of me. “Fucking asshole!” Mackenzie disappeared from the crowd before I heard her harsh curse. My eyebrows rose in utter confusion, was something wrong?

I sat on the wooden swing that stood adjacent to the blaring house. My eyelids fluttered closed in exhaustion, closing out the booming voice of Nicki Minaj. My rigid muscles relaxed as the chilled air engulfed my tiresome body. Summer was drawing closer by the second, as was graduation. Senior year would be over in a matter of weeks, and then we were to be whisked off to college. My mind carried my soul into the past as I reminiscent the last four years of high school. The last four years were full of firsts: the first day of high school, the first detention, the first party, the first crush, the first kiss and the first boyfriend. I shuddered at the thought of the first day of freshman year. I was a nervous wreck, and without the overly confident Mackenzie by my side, I wouldn’t have made it through the doors. Mackenzie and I were two very different people, from two very different worlds – polar opposites, yet we were inseparable. I had met Mackenzie at a carnival during fifth grade. Mackenzie’s high-pitched screams were enough to put a halt to every ride on the carnival, as her fingers scratched at her head in an attempt to remove the cloud of cotton candy that I had accidentally manoeuvred into her bird’s nest of hair. Mackenzie insisted that it had taken her three weeks to remove the sticky mess. We still laugh at the greetings we had exchanged that day. Mackenzie was my dearest, dearest friend. I could trust the girl with my life.

“What are you laughing at?”

My past dissolved from my idle mind when the low murmur danced gracefully into the pleasant air. My eyes fell onto the Greek god that stood before me, leaning onto the trunk of the tree. I blushed a deep crimson in realization that I had been giggling softly to myself. I stuttered uncontrollably in an attempt to speak, and the attractive being simply threw his head back in affluent laughter. My eyes rolled in infuriation; he was just another one of those guys. I stood from the swing, and took long strides towards the house. It was getting cold anyway.

“Hey! Hey tiger, wait up!” The laughter ceased and the Greek god caught up to my hasty steps with ease.

“What do you want?” My eyes were tainted with anger as they wandered the surrounding environment; they refused to look into his eyes. His hands were buried in the pockets of his navy jacket, and the wind gave his hazel locks a tousled look. Muscles were prominent through his black shirt, complementing his sun-kissed glow. It was as if he had evolved from a high-class fashion magazine.

“Xavier, Xavier Hunter.”

I squinted distastefully at the large, calloused palm that yearned for an embrace, “I asked what do you want?” I emphasized the words, resisting his touch.

“For you to introduce yourself.”

“Not happening,” I shifted myself past his eye-catching body and continued to walk towards the house.

“Fiery now, are we?” Playful laughter was visible in his tone as he followed closely. I continued to ignore the stranger, drawing closer to the house. “Come on tiger, just a name and I’ll leave you alone.”

My head snapped up and I ceased walking when he offered his generous proposition. Once again, my stubborn mouth stuttered, "Lo–" Laughter consumed his perfect lips, and I hesitated. "You're laughing at me!"

"No I'm not," Xavier attempted to suppress his chuckle.

"Leave me alone!"

"Aw tiger!"

"I’ll show you the definition of ‘fiery’ if you call me 'tiger' one more time!" The treads of Xavier's shoes against the crisp grass halted, and his hands raised in surrender. "Don't follow me," I exclaimed. Much to my disappointment, the Greek god cohered to the ground.

"What did the bastard do?"

"He... He– Christian... cheated," Mackenzie struggled to speak, hiccupping on her everlasting tears. The atrocious combination of strong alcohol, vomit and sweat loomed in the constricted space of the bathroom. I held another square of Kleenex tissue to her nose as Mackenzie let out another heartbreaking cry. Damn you Christian Clark, damn you.

When I pulled her into a tight embrace, my best friend fell to a million pieces before my very own eyes. "It's alright, everything is going to be alright." I wasn’t going to get anything out of my friend tonight. 

I had walked into an ocean of crazed, drunken teenagers howling with deranged laughter; the piercing squeal of skin against skin was scarcely audible under the clatter, but then it came another time, and another. “Harder! Slap her harder!” The jocks chanted, engrossed in the occasion. I pushed past a group of stoned men, curious as to what had occurred. My eyes fell onto an intoxicated Mackenzie; palm raised and in position to make contact with the blotchy inflamed skin of the other unidentifiable girl. My legs ran faster than Mackenzie hand was able to swivel towards girl’s visage. “No more,” I hissed, taking a hold of her wrist. Waves of cries resided the atmosphere, as I frantically pulled my drunken friend to the bathroom.

"London?" Mackenzie withdrew my conscience from the recount of that night; I barely heard her hushed whimper.

"Yes?"

"Can you do me a favour?"

"Anything."

"I want this to be the best summer of our lives."

"I promise. This summer is going to be the best of our lives."

Only for you Kenzie, anything for you.

The conversation ended with a boundless bond that assured the summer wouldn't bromidic. That night, I witnessed the naive girl within my dearest, dearest friend arise from her strong ego as she cried her little heart out. 

A/T: This is the edited version of chapter 2. It will be further edited in the morning, as it is getting late. I enjoy the chapter with these alterations so much more than the previous chapter. If anything continues to confuse you, please let me know. Thank you so much for your support, and the 1,000 reads. I couldn't be more grateful, for I have wonderful readers.